ID: 7057775 (Ref.No. 311391DP)
Posted: June 14, 2019
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Executive Director is responsible for supporting the Provost and Senior Vice President of Academic and Faculty Affairs to supervise and manage the day-to-day Budget and Finance needs of the Education Mission and Faculty Affairs. Under the supervision of the Vice Provost/Vice President of Education Planning and Resource Management, they will direct the business administration staff in finance strategy and operations (e.g., financial recording, reporting and monitoring controls), budget management and development, and day-to-day running of the financial business operations for the Education Mission - Academic and Faculty Affairs. In addition, they will direct the business administration staff in the creation and maintenance of strategic financial analysis while producing well- structured financial reports and developing strategies based on financial research.
Accounting and Finance Operations:
- Provide oversight for all financial transactions within SAP and is responsible for ensuring compliance with both policy and procedures set forth by the institution, mission, schools, accreditors and regulators.
- Lead accounting and finance operations, systematize, document, and ensure effective and efficient processes, appropriate controls, and visibility are in place for all accounting operations.
- Direct and execute day-to-day management of accounting and finance operational functions, including transactions such as payroll and salary administration, approving expenses and monitoring expense controls, processing journal entries, cost transfers, salary distributions, invoices, additional compensation payments and internal transfers within Baylor College of Medicine.
- Oversee the department’s grant and contract administration (pre and post award) and serves as a resource to PI’s in regards to budget reallocations, extension requests and financial reporting compliance.
- Provide oversight for contract approval and management.
- Direct and manage financial risk mitigation and management strategies, including manage and monitor Delegation of Authority (DOA), appropriate segregation of duties and conflicts of interest.
- Direct and produce regularly scheduled and adhoc reports and analysis for both internal and external users.
Budget Development and Management:
- Colaborate with the Baylor Budget Office to ensure annual financial budget targets for revenue and expense projections for each program and department are established, approved by the Provost, and realized.
- Work with account owners to ensure that line-item budgets are submitted, reviewed and revised as appropriate.
- Support and ensure each Education Mission unit’s successful and timely annual budget submission.
- Ensure the realization of on-target financial performance through effective budget management and accounting operations.
- Provide successful and on-time month-, quarter- and year-end closing of the Education Mission (and the Units within) budget in line with the policies and procedures.
- Prepare, in conjunction with school leadership, training dollar support for teaching faculty.
Training and Tools:
- Develop and continuously improve reporting/planning/audit tools and capabilities utilized by programs and departments to monitor/manage expenses.
- Work with Schools, Programs and Unit leadership to instill a culture of budget management and awareness through continuous education.
- Develop and implement business operations policies and procedures, as well as training materials.
- Coordinate across departments to develop and continuously improve processes supporting financial operations.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or business is required.
- Ten years of accounting, business operations or related experience required.
- Master’s degree.
- Working knowledge of the Baylor College of Medicine’s financial and administrative systems.
- Strong preference for previous process improvement and project management experience.
- Supervisory experience.
- Must have a strong service oriented attitude and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Must be highly computer literate with strong accounting and financial analysis skills, know budget theory and have an accounting operations understanding.
- Must be able to use discretion, maintain confidentiality, exercise sound and independent judgment and perform detailed work with precision.
- Must be well organized, with exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Must be able to create training methods for small and large groups.
- Must have the ability to work well under pressure with short deadlines and changing priorities is needed.
- Strong leadership skills and an ability to take initiative.