ID: 7057817 (Ref.No. 312226JC)
Posted: June 14, 2019
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
This position will provide planning, design, implementation, testing and documentation of software and database applications that support the mission of Baylor College of Medicine. The application specifications must integrate into the software systems supported by Research IT. This position is responsible for coordinating application projects, as well as interpreting specifications and requirements into code. Performs other related duties as assigned or directed in order to meet the goals and objectives.
- Participates in significant enhancements of existing software to stay current with the software upgrades.
- Translates designs of the architecture into software code and directs code development of junior programmers to ensure adherence to coding techniques and standards.
- Works with investigators and other staff to understand the problems that need to be solved, develops specifications to design software applications to solve those problems.
- Assists in design, development and customization of applications, in particular, Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS); in maintaining program libraries and with maintaining technical manuals.
- Conversant in software validation and regulatory requirements for 21 CFR Part 11 compliance, HIPAA, FISMA and other federal regulations.
- Shows interest in continual learning of additional technical skills and software programming skills, and staying current with the state of technology.
- Assists in training junior software staff.
- Provides on-call support as needed.
- Documents software applications developed by Research IT, including the maintenance of data dictionaries. Leads and participates in the development and review of documentation for software applications.
- Responsible for the accuracy, understandability and maintenance of these documents.
- Provides project leadership. Provides education, direction and guidance to individuals assigned to projects under the leadership of this position. Assists the Director of Research Informatics with recruitment and training of members in the software development team.
- Advises, trains and assists clients in the use of software applications developed and supported by Research IT. Develops training materials for users. Develops and oversees the development of customized reports and analyses as required. Participates in workshops and seminars in order to identify existing and to anticipate future software application requirements.
- Continues education in computer science and information technology in order to propose and implement state-of-the-art concepts and technical solutions.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Information Technology, or a related field. Four years of related experience may substitute for degree requirement.
- At least two years of professional experience.
- Master's degree in computer science, information technology or related field.
- Three years of experience in software, application and database development.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with object oriented programming.
- Experience in developing database applications and assisting with design of databases.
- Ability to participate in software/hardware release and installation tasks.
- Assists with design, benchmark testing, debugging and maintenance tasks for all the software and programming applications used and maintained by Research Informatics.
- Experience in developing Internet-based applications with Active Server Pages and Java applets.
- Experience in maintaining technical manuals.
- Experience in working with SQL Server and related client-server applications
- Proficiency in Windows and UNIX operating systems.
- Experience in Internet-based applications and development.
- Capable of working as a member of a team, maintaining composure in stressful situations.