ID: 7057903 (Ref.No. 304745JC)
Posted: June 14, 2019
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Primarily responsible for the design, installation, and ongoing maintenance of all enterprise wireless infrastructure systems at Baylor College of Medicine, including but not limited to wireless controllers, wireless access points, wireless intrusion detection/prevention systems, and applications related to managing and maintaining the wireless environment. This role collaborates with other Office of Information Technology (OIT) team members in the design, configuration, and support of Baylor's security, voice, audio video, and data network infrastructure, ensuring its optimal performance, while integrating non-intrusive security measures, and providing ongoing support for all communications systems (data, telephony, video, mobility, and multimedia back-end systems). Serves both as a mentor for junior network engineering and security team members, and as an escalation point for them and others in OIT.
- Works at the direction of the Manager of Network Engineering and Security (NES) and the Director of Core Infrastructure Services; may also receive direction from NES network architects.
- Works from a ticketing system queue toward the resolution of wireless, data security, voice, video, and networking-related issues.
- Strictly adheres to change control process.
- Works closely with the NES Security team, and College’s Security and Compliance team toward the implementation and maintenance of all data wireless-related infrastructure and policies.
- Possesses a thorough knowledge of appliances and applications used to monitor and manage Baylor’s wireless network infrastructure
- Maintains and monitors wireless environment using Solarwinds NPM/NCM and Cisco Prime.
- Performs design, installation, repair, ongoing maintenance, and troubleshooting of Baylor's wireless network and data infrastructure, including LAN, WLAN, MAN, and WAN, located at the main campus, as well as throughout the Texas Medical Center, and remote locations in the Houston metropolitan area.
- Leads the investigation and documentation of incidents involving, either directly or indirectly, the wireless and/or data infrastructure.
- Provides leadership in identifying and quantifying security risks, and participates in wireless security reviews, evaluations, and risk assessments.
- Develops and documents wireless policies, procedures, processes, standards and guidelines to support various aspects of the College information program.
- Provides ongoing assistance in addressing wireless issues.
- Designs high availability and implements/configures hardware according to industry best practices.
- Provides cross-training to other team members, and provide mentoring to junior members of the Network Engineering and Security team.
- Leads the NES team in wireless projects of all sizes.
- Provides escalation support for the junior NES team members, as well as for the Help Desk, Field Services, and Communications Services and DC Operations team.
- Develops and maintains a detailed understanding of the physical locations that make up Baylor's security/voice/video/data network infrastructure, that include, but are not limited to data centers, MDFs, IDFs, fiber infrastructure, and customer computer rooms.
- Develops and may present budgetary information for wireless, security, voice, video, and networking projects.
- Develops and provides supporting information for, and frequently writes and updates departmental documentation, and topology drawings/maps
- Contributes content to departmental knowledge articles, including and in particular, 'how-to' customer documentation.
- Frequently engages with technical counterparts at other TMC affiliate institutions in support of Baylor's computing customers located across the Texas Medical Center.
- Participates in an on-call rotation, including holidays (sick time and vacation time do not apply).
- Bachelor’s degree in technology-related field or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- One year of relevant IT experience.
- Deep understanding of RF transmissions and antenna behavior.
- Experience with 802.11/WLAN technology.
- Experience in troubleshooting networking device drivers.
- Demonstrated expertise with WiFi analyzers, wireless survey software, and test equipment.
- Demonstrated experience in the design, planning, and implementation of wireless systems
- Diagnose and solve wireless system performance issues.
- Broad knowledge of subnetting, TCP/IP stack and the OSI model.
- Firm understanding of networking concepts and principles,including but not limited to routing both static/dynamic (RIP, EIGRP, OSPF, and BGP) and multi-layer switching (standard and private VLANs, VTP, Spanning Tree, etc.)
- Solid understanding on networking protocols, including TCP/IP, DHCP, ARP, DNS, NAT, STP, HTTP, TCP, IPSEC, GRE, etc.)
- Two years of hands-on wireless experience.
- CCNA, CCNP, Radio Frequency (RF) certification.
This position may be eligible to work from home one day per week after an orientation and training period at the discretion of the manager.
We invite you to learn more about our benefits and BCM BeWell program.