ID: 7072165 (Ref.No. BSU23022)
Posted: November 14, 2020
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Serve as a Staff Writer on the University Marketing and Communications team, preparing content for engaging our target audiences, including intensive writing and storytelling components; compose and edit persuasive, accurate, and engaging copy for a variety of media; research various topics and industry trends; ensure consistency with the university’s brand voice; and serve as back-up to the communications team.
Job Function:Serve as a Staff Writer on the University Marketing and Communications team, preparing content for engaging our target audiences, including intensive writing and storytelling components; compose and edit persuasive, accurate, and engaging copy for a variety of media; research various topics and industry trends; ensure consistency with the university’s brand voice; and serve as back-up to the communications team.
Minimum Education:Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
Preferred Education:Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, or a related field from an accredited institution.
Minimum Experience:Completed internship in marketing or communications position or a corporation, agency or college/university.
Preferred Experience:Experience working in higher education, as a freelance writer, or in an agency setting; experience curating content across multiple platforms to meet different audience needs; ability to visualize the best way to present content; demonstrated storytelling; experience incorporating key brand messages for an organization; knowledge of web content best practices, media relations, basic communications and marketing strategies and pitching stories; project management experience managing multiple projects at once; working effectively with individuals and teams; and comfort with using project management software; experience using analytical tools to help develop content and monitor its success; and client relationship skills.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the Communications team with promoting the university through clear, persuasive, and compelling copywriting. Create marketing and communications deliverables for the purpose of telling Ball State's story to multiple audiences. This includes rewriting portions of client-prepared copy, or editing client prepared copy for content, tone, style, grammar and communication plan objectives; adapt writing appropriately depending upon media (online, publications, correspondence, scripts, etc.); execute a wide range of styles depending upon intended audience, tailoring copy appropriately for alumni, donors, prospective students (undergraduate, graduate, or online), peers, and other populations.
- Serve on creative teams comprising of project managers, creative strategists, marketing specialists, videographers, photographers, copywriters, and editors to develop or provide original content for appropriate publicity and communications materials, including printed publications, correspondence, reports, direct mail, advertisements, the Web, other electronic media (i.e., video, DVD, PDF publications), the university’s alumni magazine, and collateral materials.
- Conduct research and interviews with internal and external sources in support of writing projects; communicate appropriately and effectively with internal and external stakeholders; ensure the accuracy and integrity of all content produced.
- Exercise independent judgement, critical thinking, and communication skills when assisting colleagues on proper university style; promote a storytelling approach.
- Manage multiple and competing priorities to ensure timely delivery of critical projects; requires an understanding of how projects relate to the broad strategic goals of the university and of the department; monitor and adhere to project production schedules; communicate routinely and thoroughly with supervisor and project managers about work progress.
- Serve as back-up to the division’s communications team, providing copy editing, proof-reading, and fact-checking support as work volume requires.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
At Ball State University, we recognize inclusive excellence as an integral endeavor to fulfill our University’s mission and our strategic plan. We recruit, support, and retain a diverse population of students, faculty, and staff. We encourage and reward diversity of thought. We promote a work environment that encourages and rewards innovation and creativity. We pledge to keep Inclusive Excellence at the highest level of institutional importance and as a foundation in all that we strive to do. Our over-arching goal for Inclusive Excellence is to adopt a university-wide Inclusive Excellence approach to academic, administrative support, and service functions of the university. We believe Inclusive Excellence must be infused in every step we take.