Mission Viejo, CA
ID: 7073095 (Ref.No. P0018544)
Posted: December 12, 2020
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
10-Irvine Valley College
For this position, employees must have at least one of the following:
1. Master’s degree or higher in TESL, TESOL, applied linguistics with a TESL emphasis, linguistics with a TESL emphasis, English with a TESL emphasis, or education with a TESL emphasis from an accredited college or university; OR
2. Bachelor’s degree in TESL, TESOL, English with a TESL certificate, linguistics with a TESL certificate, applied linguistics with a TESL certificate, or any foreign language with a TESL certificate AND a Master’s degree in linguistics, applied linguistics, English, composition, bilingual/bi-cultural studies, reading, speech, or any foreign language from an accredited college or university; OR
3. Valid California Community College instructor credential appropriate to the subject per Education Code 87355 (issued prior to July 1, 1990); OR
4. A combination of education and experience that is at least the equivalent of items 1 or 2 above .
• A minimum of two (2) years (full or part-time) recent and successful teaching experience in ESL at the college level.
• Knowledge and experience working with technology in the ESL classroom and/or ESL/language laboratory.
• Knowledge of current ESL teaching methodologies and language acquisition theories.
• Fluent in spoken and written English.
• Evidence of sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
Preference will be given to those candidates demonstrating a high level of professional expertise on the basis of:
• Community college teaching experience in ESL at a variety of levels, especially beginning or intermediate noncredit ESL experience
• Familiarity with ESL course and program development, especially VESL
• Experience writing ESL curriculum, particularly for noncredit ESL courses
• Familiarity with ESL program/department coordination
• Knowledge of Canvas LMS and online education methodologies
• Experience in developing technology-based supplemental ESL curriculum/materials that can be used by students independently, such as in a lab or an online environment.
• Demonstrated professional development in the field of TESL/ESL and student equity
• Knowledge of and fluency in a language other than English
• Successful experience working on committees or team projects
Full Time, Tenure Track
- Resume / CV
- Cover Letter
- Transcript 1
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Transcript 2
- Transcript 4
- Transcript 5
- Letter of Recommendation 3
- Other Doc
- Foreign Transcript Evaluation 1
- License or Certificate
At the South Orange County Community College District, our goal as an academic community is to sustain a working environment that fosters and celebrates diversity, promotes and rewards excellence, and is welcoming to all. An exemplary academic community promotes an inclusive environment that best prepares our faculty, staff, and students to live, work, and contribute in a global society. The Plan reflects the District's commitment to equal employment opportunity and outlines the active steps that ensure nondiscriminatory practices.