Mission Viejo, CA
ID: 7073097 (Ref.No. P0018540)
Posted: December 12, 2020
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
10-Irvine Valley College
The successful candidate must meet one of the following criteria:
1. Master’s degree or higher in accountancy or business administration with accounting concentration from an accredited college or university; OR
2. Bachelor’s degree in business with accounting emphasis, or business administration with accounting emphasis, or economics with an accounting emphasis AND a Master’s degree or higher in business, business administration, business education, taxation, or finance, from an accredited college or university; OR
3. Valid California Community College Instructor Credential appropriate to the subject per Education Code 87355 (issued prior to July 1, 1990); OR
4. A combination of education and experience that is at least the equivalent of items 1 or 2 above (candidates making application on the basis of equivalency must submit the Supplemental Application for Equivalency Determination form in addition to all other required materials).
(NOTE: A Bachelor’s degree in accountancy or business administration with accounting concentration, with a CPA license is an alternative qualification for this discipline, pursuant to Title 5, Section 53410.1.)
● One year full time (or equivalent part-time) recent and successful teaching experience in the field of accounting at the community college and/or university level.
● Possess the knowledge and ability to teach and manage accounting courses using various forms of computer technology in and outside the classroom.
● Install, use and maintain electronic instructional course software in Canvas and the ability to integrate publisher materials into Canvas.
● Hold advanced computer skills, literacy and familiarity combined with experience in online, Internet and web‐based course delivery systems, in order to offer curriculum and instruction.
● Familiarity in developing and maintaining appropriate lower‐division curriculum in accounting.
● Experience in student learning outcome, program review, and/or matriculation.
● Evidence of sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
Preference will be given to those candidates demonstrating a high level of para-professional expertise on the basis of the following:
● Recent and successful experience teaching financial and managerial accounting at the community college level.
● Understanding current and emerging instructional and educational delivery technologies.
● A demonstrated strong commitment to quality teaching, student success and academic excellence.
● Understanding of different instructional modalities to match different student learning styles.
● Possession of strong interpersonal skills.
● Experience in curriculum development and online delivery.
● Ability to incorporate spreadsheet application and accounting software technology further into the curriculum.
● Strong networking skills to promote internship and work experience opportunities in the community for our students.
● A demonstrated interest in mentoring students to become an Enrolled Agent (EA) and/or to obtain other nationally recognized accounting certifications.
● Ability to develop additional certifications for IVC’s accounting programs.
● Ability to teach advanced accounting courses including, but not limited to, audit, tax, intermediate accounting, and cost accounting.
● Ability to guide community college students through the CPA educational requirements for licensing and to assist transfer and returning students with employment opportunities.
● Experience developing and guiding students through transfer pathways programs and/or cohort programs, such as IVC’s GAP 4+1 program with California State University, Fullerton.
● Ability to instruct and assist in the growth and success of a diverse population of students through careful preparation of course materials, effective teaching methodologies and informed critical feedback on assignments and discussions.
● Ability to employ effective practices for engaging students who are diverse and/or underrepresented.
● The ideal candidate should have experience in this area with African American, Latinx, Native Americans, Pacific Islanders and other students underrepresented in education and the profession.
● Candidate being an actively licensed Certified Public Accountant.
● Possession of other desirable credentials, such as Certified Management Accountant and/or Certified Internal Auditor.
Full Time, Tenure Track
- Resume / CV
- Cover Letter
- Transcript 1
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3
- Transcript 2
- Transcript 3
- Other Doc
- Foreign Transcript Evaluation 1
- License or Certificate
At the South Orange County Community College District, our goal as an academic community is to sustain a working environment that fosters and celebrates diversity, promotes and rewards excellence, and is welcoming to all. An exemplary academic community promotes an inclusive environment that best prepares our faculty, staff, and students to live, work, and contribute in a global society. The Plan reflects the District's commitment to equal employment opportunity and outlines the active steps that ensure nondiscriminatory practices.