ID: 7078146 (Ref.No. hlj_30712)
Posted: May 11, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Director of Division Operations is responsible for the oversight, management, planning and direction of grant operations within the Divisions of Population Science and Quantitative Science. The position works in partnership with the Senior Director of Population and Quantitative Sciences, Division Chiefs/Associate Center Directors, Department Chairs, and Faculty for each division to ensure that the division grant infrastructure is developed and maintained to support the growth and quality of research. The Director works on division related initiatives related to the faculty to improve processes within the divisions and decrease the burden on the Senior Director. The position also develops and oversees short-term and long-term strategic initiatives that strategically align with divisional initiatives.
The position works with on average 76 Clinical and Research Faculty/Principal Investigators and oversees approximately 25 grant administrative positions. The Director is also responsible for $21.5 million in new grant revenue per year and $41 million in annual grant proposals plus industry awards.
- Supporting two of the four research divisions at Moffitt (Population and Quantitative Science) and being involved with the day-to-day activities to move the divisions forward.
- Being involved in an innovative team that is excited about making change and improvements, and helping implement big ideas.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Knowledge of NCI-designated cancer centers or equivalent large specialized academic institutions;
- In depth experience in research division operations, including fiscal and strategic budget management (including grant development and management);
- SRA or NCURA (or equivalent) membership/participation;
- Experience with leadership development and strategic planning;
- Experience working with senior leadership;
- Strong interpersonal skills to provide effective leadership within the divisions and across the institution.
- Loves to innovate and come up with new ideas
- Is a team player and enjoys a team based environment
- Can lend expertise on a daily basis.
- Can guide faculty and staff on the appropriate path forward for complex questions concerning grants
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to deal with confidential and sensitive situations
- Responsible for overseeing all grant operations within the divisions and ensuring that the division grant infrastructure is developed and maintained to support the growth and quality of research. This includes compliance and operational standards for grant management to enhance quality and efficiency. Responsible for developing, implementing and continually evaluating divisional standards and metrics to improve and maintain good practices. Reviews accounts regularly to ensure compliance and that SOPs are being followed.
- Development and oversight of short-term and long-term division strategic initiatives that align with Moffitt and MRI strategic plans.
- Provides training, coaching and mentoring for the Supervisor of Division Grant Operations and the Supervisor of Division Operations to facilitate career development and succession planning. Works closely with the Senior Director on projects and initiatives related to faculty for personal growth and development and to ensure succession plan designee for Senior Director.
- Responsible for the financial oversight of division grant operations, including development of quarterly forecasts, monitoring monthly expenses, grant management, and implementing strategic margin management initiatives. Responsible for $21.5 million in new grant revenue per year and $41 million in annual grant proposals plus industry, including 7 cost centers and 418 research accounts.
- Maintains effective lines of communication with stakeholders throughout the divisions to ensure new administrative initiatives are strategically aligned with division and institution related initiatives. Works collaboratively with Research Administration to provide consistent practices across the Moffitt Research Institute. Develops and maintains positive working relationships with Clinical and Research Faculty.
- Provides oversight and guidance with disciplinary actions for division grant administration staff and is directly involved in staff terminations. Oversees the development and implementation of division related grant administration career ladders to ensure consistency across the divisions.
Credentials and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's required/Master's degree preferred (Medical/scientific, business administration or related field)
- Minimum of 8 years of grant related experience in an academic/research setting with at least 5 years of supervisory and/or leadership experience.
- Preferred: At least 5 years of direct financial accountability for an academic/research division.
Mission To create a Moffitt culture of diversity and inclusion as we strive to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Vision Moffitt Cancer Center is recognized as the model wherein the diversity of our employees and communities is valued and supported as essential components to contributing to the prevention and cure of cancer. The cancer center is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the cancer center to prohibit unlawful discrimination and harassment of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to workforce members and applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, marital status, disability, genetic information, veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.