ID: 7081347 (Ref.No. 21A100053)
Posted: July 19, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Rider University invites applications for a Commander of Emergency Management & Special Operations. Reporting to the Director of Public Safety, this individual will manage and coordinate emergency management, emergency medical services, fire safety, security technology, training, accreditation and special operations.
The Commander of Emergency Management & Special Operations will also:
• supervise the daily activities of the department in the absence of the Director and Assistant Director/Captain, or as directed;
• serve in the Public Safety administration rotation as on-call Public Safety administrator;
• participate in the planning and delivery of department training;
• coordinate the University’s fire safety activities and compliance with fire safety laws and regulations;
• coordinate the University’s emergency management, mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery activities;
• manage Public Safety’s surveillance camera & other technology systems;
• conduct and supervise thorough preliminary and follow up investigations as assigned and prepare detailed and thorough written reports;
• provide supervision and security services for various University and outside events; and
• supervise the student & public safety Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT)
• Bachelor’s degree in Emergency Management, Business Administration, Management, Political Science, Public Administration, or Homeland Security
• Five years of progressively responsible work experience in emergency management, demonstrating a comprehensive knowledge of emergency management procedures, practices and regulations, including response planning and development, development of comprehensive response protocols, planning emergency drills, and grant submission/management; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
• Completion of essential Incident Command System ICS courses (ICS 100, 200, 300 and 400) and National Incident Management System IS 700 certifications
• Must be willing to seek an emergency management certification and at least one or more of the following certifications: fire safety, emergency medical technician or accreditation manager
• Excellent communication skills
• Must have demonstrated interpersonal skills
• Must have the ability to motivate and be capable of team building
• Ability to meet and maintain physical requirements of the position
• Experience conducting fire safety and/or other related safety programs
• Ability to take command and make sound decisions during an emergency situation
• A valid driver’s license and satisfactory driving record
• Must be committed to working with and engaging with the community and have experience working with a culturally diverse community and committed to inclusive excellence.
Position Preferred Qualifications/Experience
• Master’s degree in Emergency Management, Business Administration, or Public Administration
• Experience in a Higher Education setting
• Certified Emergency Manager, certification as a New Jersey Fire Official or Fire Inspector is desired.
• Emergency Medical Technician certification
• Police or security experience
• Basic knowledge of hazardous chemicals
• Experience working in a public safety department that is accredited and/or is in the process of seeking accreditation
About Rider University
The Rider University community is composed of faculty, staff and students from a wide range of cultural backgrounds.
Rider University is committed to fostering an inclusive, vibrant living and learning community that embraces students, faculty and staff of all backgrounds and enables them to achieve success.
Through reflection and open, respectful dialogue, we develop responsible citizens who demonstrate academic understanding and compassion to grow and serve as leaders in a diverse and global world.
Candidates with a demonstrated commitment supportive of the multicultural needs of Rider University and the surrounding community are highly desired.
Rider University has been included as one of the nation’s best universities by US News & World Report and remained in the top tier in the Regional Universities – North category. Additionally, The Princeton Review named Rider among its “Best 386 Colleges” in the nation. Both publications have ranked the University favorably in their respective surveys for more than a decade.
Rider University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer dedicated to excellence through diversity.
Special Instructions to Applicants
The completion of a background check is required for all new hires.