Associate Director of Finance
Posted: October 22, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionJob Description
The Associate Director of Finance is responsible for the financial compliance oversight within the financial operations of the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute (VTTI), the university's largest research institute with over $40 million in annual sponsored funding. The successful candidate will work with VTTI Fiscal team, the Research Administration team, VTTI Divisions/Centers, the Controller's Office, the VT Office of Sponsored Programs, VT Procurement, VTTI Contracts, VTTI Pre-award, and VT Risk Management to ensure compliance with State, Federal, and University guidelines and procedures. The Associate Director of Finance will report directly to the VTTI Chief Finance Officer on all compliance matters including monthly certifications, monthly reconciliations, transaction reviews, oversight of participant payment processes, records retention, cost transfers, various audit/compliance responses, and effort certifications. Will review and update internal VTTI procedures and guidelines as needed. Supervises the VTTI post award and fiscal staff. Responsible for oversight of the VTTI service center finances, which include monthly analysis, annual rate review, along with annual financial reports. Oversee the department quarterly returned overhead allocation. Review and approve various purchases. Review and approve wage and graduate student hiring needs. Provide various training when needed. Serves as the Assistant Treasurer of the VTT, LLC, which is an affiliate of Virginia Tech. Manage the department’s vehicle loaner/lease inventory by ensuring required insurance is up to date. Lead the federal owned equipment inventory process at VTTI and manages other department inventory and surplus needs.
A criminal conviction check will be required.
- Advanced degree in management, accounting, finance, or related field. A bachelor's degree with significant relevant work experience may be considered in lieu of an advanced degree.
- Demonstrated supervisory experience.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and in a team environment.
- Working knowledge of accounting and operating compliance requirements.
- Demonstrated understanding of university, state, and/or federal policies and guidelines.
- Proven skills in updating or creating written procedures and guidelines.
- Organized and detail orientated.
- Experience in performing various financial analysis and reports.
- Experience with standard office software such as word processing, spreadsheets, presentation utilities.
- Ability to multitask and work independently to prioritize assignments and train others in a high volume, team environment.
- Previous work experience in a research organization.
- Experience managing multiple funding sources (e.g. State funding, foundation funding, external funding).
- Experience using advance features of spreadsheet programs.
- Experience with large enterprise financial and reporting systems.
- Advanced Certification (e.g. CPA, CRA, CMA).