Postdoctoral Position in Cancer Research
Posted: October 25, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionA POSTDOCTORAL position is available in Toronto/Canada, in the laboratory of Dr. R Hakem at the Princess Margaret Cancer Centre/University Health Network.
The focus of our research is to characterize novel genetic risk factors and cell signaling and molecular oncology mechanisms that drive tumor development and progression. We also aim to identify novel strategies to improve cancer therapy.
Cancer genetics and biochemistry are fundamental to our research. Our studies are multidisciplinary, and involve multiomics, CRISPR-Cas9 screening, genetics, biochemistry and molecular analyses of human cancer cells, mouse models, PDXs, and data derived from cancer patients. Using a multidisciplinary approach that involves scientists, clinicians, pathologists, and bioinformatics experts, we work towards our long-term goal of contributing to better diagnosis and therapy for cancer patients.
The Hakem lab has an excellent track record studying in vivo functions of tumor suppressors (e.g. BRCA1), cancer mechanisms, and signaling pathways involved. Our studies have been published in journals including Science (DOI: 10.1126/science.1094557, Nature Communications (DOI: 10.1038/ncomms12638) and Journal of Clinical Investigation (DOI: 10.1172/JCI140105 and DOI: 10.1172/JCI120401).
- PhD or MD/PhD degree obtained within the past 3 years. PhD students nearing graduation are welcome to apply.
- Strong publication record.
- Expertise in cancer biology, biochemistry, or related disciplines. Candidates with expertise in DNA damage signaling/repair and transcription will be prioritized.
- Highly self-motivated, committed, and creative individual who can work effectively both independently and as a member of a team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Interested applicants should submit their CV, contact information of three referees, and a statement of research interests to Dr. Hakem (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.