Executive Director - Safety & Emergency Management
San Antonio, TX
Posted: November 19, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionExecutive Director - Safety & Emergency Management
Location: San Antonio, TX
Job ID: 7075
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Org Marketing Statement
The University of Texas at San Antonio is a Hispanic Serving University specializing in cyber, health, fundamental futures, and social-economic development. With more than 34,000 students, it is the largest university in the San Antonio metropolitan region. UTSA advances knowledge through research and discovery, teaching and learning, community engagement and public service. The university embraces multicultural traditions and serves as a center for intellectual and creative resources as well as a catalyst for socioeconomic development and the commercialization of intellectual property—for Texas, the nation and the world.
UTSA is situated in a global city that has been a crossroads of peoples and cultures for centuries, values diversity and inclusion in all aspects of university life. As an institution expressly founded to advance the education of Mexican Americans and other underserved communities, our university is committed to ending generations of discrimination and inequity. UTSA, a premier public research university, fosters academic excellence through a community of dialogue, discovery and innovation that embraces the uniqueness of each voice.
Posting End Date
Applications will be accepted through 11:59 PM CDT on 12/9/2021. At the discretion of the hiring department, this position posting may close once a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.
Salary is commensurate with education, experience and qualifications.
Required Application Materials
• Cover Letter is preferred
Provide leadership, direction, and administration for all functional areas and ensure that relevant programs are developed to meet federal, state and local regulatory requirements. Responsible for developing, promoting, and overseeing policies, procedures, and programs necessary to maintain campus safety and preparedness efforts for for the UTSA community.
1. Provide effective leadership and strategic direction to staff members and oversee development of UTSA programs that promote a safety and preparedness culture while complying with local, state and federal regulations.
2. Provide administrative oversight of all functional areas including:
a) Fire Prevention and Life Safety,
b) Risk Management,
c) Occupational Health and Safety,
d) Worker's Compensation,
e) Construction/Environmental Health,
f) Emergency Management and Business Continuity.
3. Ensure policies, procedures and facilities of UTSA promote the safety and well-being of all staff, faculty, students and visitors to campus and raise awareness by providing adequate training programs and periodic review, inspection and testing programs to help ensure facility safety.
4. Responsible for departmental budget development, unit planning, on-call and emergency response, and personnel management.
5. Oversee and review program training, documentation, and required reporting to ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
6. Direct, campus-wide business continuity and emergency management programs, initiatives, strategies, and oversee response efforts to ensure the continued operation of all critical processes, resource and asset protection and loss mitigation in the event of a critical incident which disrupts operations; serve as the Emergency Operations Center Director.
7. Liaise with faculty and staff to solve problems, respond to incidents, and to interpret and implement regulations, policies, and procedures. Maintain effective relationships with external regulatory agencies.
8. Serve as the Environmental Health & Safety representative on Institutional and/or University of Texas System committees.
9. Perform other duties as assigned.
• Attend U.T. System meetings and participate in relevant committees, as necessary, to maintain proficiency and receive regulatory compliance updates.
• Develop reporting mechanisms and provide administration with periodic reports to monitor program operational efficiency and compliance with established standards/regulations.
• Bachelor's degree in Public Administration, Emergency Management, Business Administration, Environmental Sciences/Safety, or related degrees from an accredited institution.
• Valid Texas class C driver's license or ability to obtain one within 30 days of hire.
• Eight years of progressively responsible experience in business continuity/emergency management, environmental/occupational health, or safety and risk management programs, including at least six years in a supervisory position.
• Knowledge of local, state, and federal regulations and standards associated with: National Incident Management System (NIMS), Texas Department of State Health Services [Asbestos (TAHPR), Mold (TMARR), Hazard Communication, Bloodborne Pathogens], Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), OSHA General Industry and Construction Safety.
• Demonstrated organizational, written, and verbal communication skills.
• Demonstrated experience effectively leading a complex organization and developing strategic plans to meet organizational needs.
• Demonstrated experience in financial accountability
• Master's degree in a related field from an accredited institution.
• One or more professional designations as a Certified Emergency Manager (CEM), Certified Business Continuity Professional (CBCP), Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), Certified Biological Safety Professional (CBSP), Certified Health Physicist (CHP), Associate Risk Management (ARM), or other industry recognized designation.
• Experience to include two years as an Emergency Manager, Safety Director, or other related leadership position in higher education.
• Experience interacting with regulatory agencies, peers, and a university community to review, evaluate and implement necessary regulatory requirements in a timely manner.
• Supervisory skills to effectively recruit, train, and motivate staff, and build an effective service-oriented environment.
This position will be primarily located at our main campus.
• UTSA is a tobacco free campus.
• This is a security sensitive position. Employment is contingent upon a successful background check.
• Applicants selected must be able to show proof of eligibility to work in the United States by time of hire.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, it is the policy of The University of Texas at San Antonio to promote and ensure equal employment opportunity for all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information, and veteran status. The University is committed to the Affirmative Action Program in compliance with all government requirements to ensure nondiscrimination. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply. UTSA campuses are accessible to persons with disabilities.
To view the full job posting and apply for this position, go to https://apptrkr.com/2649668
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.