Assistant Professor - Computer Science
Garden City, NY
Posted: November 24, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionJOB SUMMARY:
The department of Mathematics and Computer Science at Adelphi University invites applications for one full-time tenure track position at the rank of Assistant Professor, to start Fall 2022. We seek candidates with a strong commitment to excellence in teaching and scholarly research in the field of computer science.
The successful candidate will be expected to teach in our undergraduate as well as graduate programs, which include the Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, the Bachelor of Science in Information Systems, and the Master of Science in Computer Science. The candidate must maintain and expand a scholarly publication record, and serve as an active member of the Adelphi community by engaging in institutional service.
The successful candidate will be committed to fostering diversity and inclusion while teaching a diverse student body. The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science is interested in further strengthening the diversity of its faculty and is committed to foster a diverse and inclusive environment.
1. Teach 18 credits annually (2-3 courses per semester). When possible, we strive to reduce course preparation efforts by assigning multiple sections of a class to the same instructor, and to assign the same classes on a recurring basis.
2. Teach a combination of undergraduate and master’s courses.
3. Conduct research in topics relevant to computer science and publish in peer-reviewed publications.
4. Contribute to student growth and development through active involvement in student related activities (e.g., advising, working with student organizations).
5. Provide service to the university.
1. A doctoral degree in computer science or closely related discipline is required at time of appointment as a tenure-track member of the faculty.
2. Affinity with departmental curricular initiatives is strongly preferred.
1. Applications should include a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, a teaching statement, a research statement, and three letters of recommendation.
2. Candidates must submit a diversity statement, or explicitly discuss diversity and inclusion in their teaching and/or research statements.
3. Abstracts of recent publications are welcome as part of the application.
4. To be considered, applications must be submitted through the Adelphi website.
Adelphi University, New York, is a highly awarded, nationally ranked, powerfully connected doctoral research and teaching university dedicated to transforming students’ lives through small classes with world-class faculty, hands-on learning and innovative ways to support academic and career success. Adelphi offers exceptional liberal arts and sciences programs and professional training, with particular strength in our Core Four—Arts and Humanities, STEM and Social Sciences, the Business and Education Professions, and Health and Wellness. Recognized as a Best College by U.S. News & World Report, Adelphi is Long Island’s oldest private coeducational university, serving more than 8,100 students at its beautiful main campus in Garden City, at learning hubs in Manhattan, the Hudson Valley and Suffolk County, and online. The University offers students more than 50 undergraduate majors and 70 graduate programs in the liberal arts, the sciences and professional training. With powerful partnerships throughout the New York area, more than 115,000 graduates across the country, a growing enrollment of students from 41 states and 58 countries, and rising rankings from top publications and organizations, Adelphi is a dynamic community that plays a leadership role on Long Island and in the region.
ABOUT THE COLLEGE OF ARTS AND SCIENCES:
The College of Arts and Sciences at Adelphi University is a community of educators, learners, and citizens firmly committed to the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe that these principles enrich our entire community, foster healthy discussions, improve decision-making, and enhance the educational environment and outcomes of our students. We support initiatives, activities, discussions, and practices that uphold the equitable treatment of all members of our community and strengthen their sense of belonging at Adelphi. We relentlessly strive to become a model for a socially just and inclusive institution.