Assistant Professor of Mathematics
Posted: December 3, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionJob Description
As a part of diverse community of faculty and Staff who represent many faith system and worldviews, the Department of Mathematics at Marian University in Indianapolis, IN seeks a dynamic and innovative leader for the position of tenure-track Assistant Professor in Mathematics. The Assistant Professor in Mathematics will promote our Catholic Franciscan mission and identity by demonstrating academic excellence and the potential for distinctive contributions to the holistic development of students. Teaching-focused candidates in any area of the mathematical sciences are encouraged to apply. The appointment shall begin in the fall of 2022.
The Department of Mathematics at Marian University Indianapolis is a collaborative academic community committed to fostering student engagement problem solving and communication. The department offers degrees in both Mathematics and Computer Science in order to develop transformative leaders for service to the world in a variety of areas of business, government and education. The department recognizes the breadth of people, thought and experience that contribute to research education, and related professions in the mathematical sciences. We welcome everyone interested in mathematics, statistics, computer science, and related fields as we work to build a community that is diverse, respectful, accessible, and inclusive. We are committed to ensuring equitable access to opportunities and resources for people of any race, ethnicity, religious belief, gender identity, age, economic background, disability status, or any other social or physical component of their identity. Through our curriculum, our classrooms, our scholarship our outreach to the community and ourselves we seek to acknowledge and carefully address existing biases, barriers and uses and abuses of power and privilege. This commitment to reducing discrimination and promoting diversity and inclusion is rooted in the Franciscan Values of Marian University which make social justice an indispensable part of our calling
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Actively engage the Catholic Franciscan mission and identity of Marian University by modeling the Franciscan Sponsorship Values and honoring the legacy of the founding congregation through transformative education, unity in diversity leadership through service integrating faith and life and institutional policies.
· Teaching Load: 24 credits per academic year.
· Teach courses in the calculus sequence as well as some combination of major electives, mathematics courses for future educators, data science courses, or general education courses, depending on the expertise of the successful candidate and departmental needs
· Share in the ongoing development and implementation of department and college activities and projects
· Engage in research, scholarship and other professional activities
· Mentor students through advising research and internship opportunities.
· Actively participate in curriculum development and assessment within the department.
· Actively participate in faculty meetings, camp events, intellectual discussions, fine arts performances, social events and sporting events.
· Other duties as assigned
Knowledge of and commitment to the mission and strategic vision of Marian University
· Ph.D. in Mathematics, Mathematics Education or a related field with three years teaching experience
· Potential for ongoing scholarship including but not limited to research, publication, and activity in professional associations.
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
· Knowledge of higher education and demonstrated teaching excellence
· Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated, collaborative, and able to work independently with colleagues throughout the university and in the community
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applications require a cover letter, a current CV, contact information for three professional references, and responses to the supplemental mission questions.
Marian University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.