Salt Lake City, UT
Posted: December 13, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionJob Summary
Codes software applications to adhere to designs supporting internal business requirements or external customers. Standardizes the quality assurance procedure for software. Oversees testing and develops fixes. Provide technical support for maintenance and development in a heterogeneous technical environment. Contribute to the overall functioning of the center. Develops and supports web and other applications for CHPC/Research Computing at the University of Utah. Responsible for maintenance and operation of web applications.
· Health, dental, and wellness coverage
· Automatic and immediately vested 14.2% employer contribution to personal retirement account (401a)
· Free public transportation pass (Utah Transit Authority)
· Paid leave time
· Tuition reduction for employee and family members
… and more: https://www.hr.utah.edu/benefits/
Codes software applications to adhere to designs supporting internal business requirements or external customers. Standardizes the quality assurance procedure for software. Oversees testing and develops fixes.
Has knowledge of standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the software development field. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of tasks. Works under general supervision. A certain degree of creativity and latitude required.
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
Requires a bachelor’s degree in a related area or equivalency and 3-5 years of experience in the field or in a related area.
Department Specific Requirements:
Strong PHP and Python programming skills in a Linux/Unix environment required. Database backend web development experience required.
• Team player attitude that is willing to do any task necessary (no matter how laborious) to accomplish objectives.
• “Can do” attitude that will attack problems with minimal supervision but knows when to ask questions and ask for help.
• Ability to deliver projects on time.
• Ability to successfully work in a geographically distributed team environment, where interacting with teammates requires video, voice, messaging and email.
• Ability to build physical machines with various hardware configurations.
• Ability to maintain git repositories for software distribution.
• CHPC expects applicant to be able to communicate effectively with others in group and with others through the university.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Demonstrated excellent communications, organization, and the ability to work under minimal supervision in a flexible work environment. A commitment to provide excellent customer service.
Experience with MySQL or PostgreSQL preferred. Exposure to revision control system (svn, git etc.) preferred. Experience with frameworks such as Django preferred. Experience with Virtual Machine environments preferred. Experience in administration of Apache web server preferred. Unix/Linux system administration (RedHat/CentOS/Rocky/Alma preferred).