Research Technician/Technologist - Cherepanova Lab
ID: 7091470 (Ref.No. 17977019744)
Posted: January 7, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Dr. Cherepanova’s Lab in the Department of Cardiovascular and Metabolic Sciences is currently seeking a Laboratory Specialist. The incumbent participates in research to understand cellular and molecular mechanisms that contribute to development of cardiovascular disease. The incumbent is responsible to help with the routine lab operation, do ordering in the Infor Lawson system, as well as for managing mouse colony. The latter includes maintaining meticulous records of mouse inventories, breeding, genotyping, and maintaining an electronic database, as well as writing IACUC animal protocols.
This position also includes immunohistochemical processing, embedding, sectioning, and analysis of IHC staining of mouse and human tissues; immunohistochemical analysis; and performance of computer morphometric analyses of stained vascular histological preparations. Other duties include assistance in studies involving use of recombinant DNA techniques, including real-time PCR, PCR genotyping, promoter analyses, gene cloning, site-directed mutagenesis, and chromatin immunoprecipitation assays.
The individual also works with all students, fellows, post-docs, and other members of the lab to assist in conducting all aspects of animal experiments. The position requires coordinating research projects and logistics with other lab members; compliance with Clinic, Federal, and State policies and procedures; consulting with the Principle Investigator as needed and helping oversee laboratory equipment and supplies required for operation of the laboratory.
- Performs laboratory techniques procedures required for experimental studies including planning, organizing, performing and monitoring daily project protocols.
- Collects, prepares and maintains required research documentation, including informed consent records, case records, clinical notes and medical reports.
- Reports and assists with the management of protocol deviations, adverse events and other project-related issues, which could include assisting with establishing and scheduling of various procedures.
- Prepares reagents, purifies chemicals using chromatography, distillation, etc., identifies, separates and quantifies various substances.
- Accumulates data from analyses, prepares charts, graphs, statistical tables for presentation to Research Staff Supervisor for final analysis and preparation for publication, grant proposals and applications for research funds.
- Responsible for the assistance in general maintenance and upkeep of the lab.
- Assists in ordering and purchasing supplies as directed from the supervisors.
- Gathers information on new equipment necessary in the lab and recommends purchases.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of basic laboratory procedures, techniques, methods and analysis sufficient to perform a variety of research protocols; basic knowledge of quantitative and statistical methods normally attained through completion of a Bachelor's Degree in a biological science major or a related field of study for Technician level.
- Or Bachelor's degree in biological sciences or related field and knowledge of laboratory maintenance and equipment, or Master's degree in biological sciences or related field and one year experience for Technologist level.
Complexity of Work:
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
- A minimal amount of applicable experience may be considered to offset up to one year of the college degree requirements for Technician level (after selection and placement into this position, up to six months of on-the-job training required to become familiar with laboratory techniques, procedures and research protocols).
- OR of two years of experience in a research or related laboratory environment for Technologist level.
- Experience in handling mice and molecular biology techniques (PCR, western blotting, immunostaining and microscopy) is strongly preferred.
- Ideal applicants will have working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Visual acuity. The ability to distinguish colors.
- Manual dexterity to handle specimens and repair equipment.
- May be required to stand for long periods of time.
- Light lifting may be required.
- May be exposed to hazardous chemicals, bio-hazards, radioactive materials, etc.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective equipment as required.
Keywords: PCR, western blotting, immunostaining, microscopy, mouse handling
The policy of Cleveland Clinic Health System and its system hospitals (Cleveland Clinic Health System) is to provide equal opportunity to all of our employees and applicants for employment in our tobacco free and drug free environment. All offers of employment are followed by testing for controlled substance and nicotine. Job offers will be rescinded for candidates for employment who test positive for nicotine. Candidates for employment who are impacted by Cleveland Clinic Health System's Smoking Policy will be permitted to reapply for open positions after 90 days.
Decisions concerning employment, transfers and promotions are made upon the basis of the best qualified candidate without regard to color, race, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran or any other characteristic protected by law. Information provided on this application may be shared with any Cleveland Clinic Health System facility.
Please review the Equal Employment Opportunity poster
Cleveland Clinic Health System is pleased to be an equal employment employer: Women / Minorities / Veterans / Individuals with Disabilities
By embracing and understanding the diversity EVERY ONE brings, Cleveland Clinic has created an inclusive culture that promotes innovation, growth, and new ideas. This has enhanced our ability to attract the best global talent to provide the best patient experience possible. Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment/affirmative action employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities. Smoke/drug free environment.