Laboratory Operations Specialist
Posted: January 13, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionA little about us:
The Lieber Institute for Brain Development (LIBD) was established in 2010 to plot a new course in biomedical research that would change the lives of individuals affected with developmental brain disorders. We are one of the only research institutions in the world focused specifically on understanding how genes and the environment influence the way our brains develop that lead to conditions such as schizophrenia, autism, bipolar disorder and related developmental brain disorders. Through our cutting-edge research, answers are emerging and being translated into a robust pipeline of new drugs in development. And, by focusing on genes and their dynamic interplay with the environment, we are getting even closer to the “holy grail” in medical research, the discovery of strategies for primary prevention.
We are a group of dedicated, multidisciplinary and optimistic researchers, working at the cutting edge of science, utilizing state-of-the-art tools to unlock the mystery of the brain and transform the way we approach the development of new treatments, and ultimately cures. LIBD is an independent 501(c)(3) medical research institute located in the Bioscience Park on the campus of the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and Hospital in Baltimore, MD.
The Laboratory Operations Specialist (LOS) is part of the Laboratories and Facilities operations team. The LOS ensures the research laboratories are maintained and stocked to ensure the Institute’s staff can advance life changing discoveries in brain development science. The successful candidate will be technically savvy with respect to daily laboratory and facilities support operations while possessing experience in laboratory purchasing, receiving, material handling, inventory control and general laboratory maintenance/coordination.
The individual will be proactive in determining just-in-time deliveries of common lab equipment and supplies while ensuring the daily laboratories operations are supported to ensure safe laboratory operations.
Most importantly, the Laboratory Operations Specialist will have a significant daily role in helping scientists and staff at the Lieber Institute achieve the mission. The person will have well developed communication and interpersonal skills and be an entrepreneurial, self-starter who enjoys making a difference by working hard in a dynamic, fun environment.
o Develop, maintain and document robust vendor contacts to ensure the Lieber Institute has a well-stocked and inventoried supply chain of consumable products. Ensure the researchers have sufficient common laboratory supplies to carry-out research innovation and mission success while ensuring the Lieber Institute meets state and federal regulations and laboratory best practices requirements.
o Work closely with the investigators, finance team, and management to ensure invoice allocations are correctly coded and budgeted appropriately.
o Ensure that the Lieber Institute has a well-equipped, and well-maintained laboratory with all equipment inventoried, properly quality controlled, in excellent working order and meeting the needs of the end users.
o Actively participate and take pride in ensuring that all laboratories are clean, safe and ready for an unannounced outside inspection.
o Ensure that daily laboratory support functions are completed in accordance with laboratory SOP.
o Assist management with proper “On-Boarding” of new employees and students to ensure new staff have meaningful direction for understanding laboratory workflow and safety procedures.
o Ensure the Institute’s cafés are well stocked and maintained.
o Assist in facilities related repairs and vendor transactions, such as scheduling and assessing/approving results.
o Other duties as assigned
· Four (4) years’ experience in research/medical laboratory safety, procurement, inventory management, lab materials handling and equipment inventory is required
· Bachelors’ degree (physical or life sciences is preferred but not required).
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The incumbent should:
· demonstrate a proven track record of forecasting/tracking purchases based on an accurate inventory and coordinating deliveries. Fluency using Microsoft Office software products and specialized workorder/inventory software will be necessary to be successful in this position.
· be able to safely climb stepladders, lift/carry packages up to 50lbs, stock shelves, use mechanical lifts, gas cylinder carts and pallet jacks to move heavy or delicate scientific equipment without damage to the equipment or person.
· be able and comfortable handling packaged medical waste in accordance to Laboratory Safety SOPs.
· have the ability to communicate effectively (written and orally) to a variety of age groups with a range of scientific and technical background while ensuring quality customer service.
· be adaptable and resourceful but most of all, flexible. The incumbent will be required to assist with minor mechanical tasks, equipment monitoring and light housekeeping.
· be able to work closely with the Director of Laboratories and Facilities on daily administrative, laboratory operations and special projects such as a lab expansion, lab modification and other facilities related assignments.
** If accommodations are needed due to pregnancy or a disability, please contact [email protected]
EEOC Statement: At the Lieber Institute, we are committed to a work environment of mutual respect where employment decisions are based on merit. As an equal opportunity employer, the Lieber Institute does not discriminate in employment opportunities on the basis of race, color, religion, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability (physical or mental), genetic information, military service, or other non-merit based factors protected by state or federal law or local ordinance, with regard to any position or employment for which the applicant or employee is qualified.