Lead Programmer Analyst (Two Positions Available)
Posted: January 28, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionAbout CCRI
The Community College of Rhode Island is the states only public comprehensive associate degree-granting institution. We provide affordable open access to higher education at locations throughout the state. Our primary mission is to offer recent high school graduates and returning adults the opportunity to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary for intellectual, professional and personal growth through an array of academic, career and lifelong learning programs.
At CCRI, we are committed to building an inclusive and diverse campus community. We strive to hire and retain culturally competent faculty and staff members who reflect the demographics of our state and our increasingly diverse student population.
We believe that our diversity is our strength. We celebrate, support and thrive on the diverse experiences, backgrounds, and perspectives that are represented across our four campuses.
We are OneCCRI, working together to prepare learners to achieve their highest potential.
To learn about what employees value at CCRI and what it means to work here, please read about our Guiding Principles and watch videos of our employees doing what they do best:
The Department of Information Technology supports the technology needs of the College by acquiring, installing, maintaining and upgrading hardware, software and network resources. The department’s long-term focus is to develop and pursue a strategic plan for technology with broad based input from all college constituencies that will meet the growing and diverse needs of a community college. The Lead Programmer Analyst will develop, maintain, support, and enhance the College’s information systems.
Duties and Responsibilities
System and User Support
• Provide primary support and consulting services for one or more complex systems
• Directs users in the navigation and operation of various systems.
• Consults with user to identify current operating procedures and clarify program objectives.
• Reads manuals, periodicals, and technical reports to learn ways to develop programs that meet user requirements.
• Troubleshoot application problems and failures and collaborate with functional users and vendors to find and implement resolutions.
• Consult with users to identify and analyze business needs and recommend new programs or changes to business practices to satisfy requirements.
• Develop and modify technical documentation to support application maintenance, operations and end-user training.
• Coordinate system interfaces with other IT colleagues
• Establish specifications which are used to develop new applications or modify existing programs and job streams.
• Evaluates user requests for new or modified program to determine feasibility, cost and time required, compatibility with current system, and computer capabilities
• Formulates complex plans outlining steps required to develop program, using structured analysis and design.
• Submits and discusses plans with user for approval.
• Develop and modify applications, programs, scripts and job streams according to department standards.
• Additional responsibilities as directed by the supervisor consistent with rank and position.
• Perform all duties and responsibilities with minimal supervision.
• Respond to technical emergencies outside of normal working hours as needed.
• Keep up with changes in software development tools and techniques, programming languages, web development, and vendor supplied information systems for higher education.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, MIS or a closely related field plus 2 years of significant programming and analysis is required; or an Associate’s Degree plus 4 years of significant programming and analysis experience is required.
• Development experience with PL/SQL is required.
Competencies and Desired Qualifications
• Evidence of strong software development lifecycle management skills.
• Evidence of strong analysis and problem solving skills.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with people of varying degrees of technical ability.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collegially with colleagues.
• Demonstrated logical, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
• Demonstrated capacity for self-directed learning.
• Excellent organizational and communication skills.
• Ability to work independently on multiple assignments and to work collaboratively within a team.
• Ability to work under time constraints and with milestones.
• Will have demonstrated experience working on complex applications in a higher education setting.
• Will have application programming experience in a Unix environment, with Ellucian HE Banner software (Finance, Financial Aid, Student or Human Resources).
• Will have application development experience in Cold Fusion, Pro-C, HTML, PHP, Groovy on Grails, MS Office applications.