Research Data Engineering Specialist
Posted: May 3, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionPosition Description
Reporting to the Manager, Research Computing Applications and Operations, the candidate will be responsible for supporting and maintaining Research Computing data acquisition, transfer workflows, and related platforms, including Globus and other solutions. This role will be working with HMS Researchers to develop automated workflows to enable data acquisition, file transfers, and data pipeline solutions to advance their research and streamline processes. The Research Data Engineering Specialist will support users needing enhancements or in the event functions or features not working as designed. This position will also be part of the RC Operations support team helping support users.
Minimum of five years’ post-secondary education or relevant work experience
Additional Qualifications and Skills
• Hands-on experience with scripting languages like Python and shell scripting (e.g., Bash).
• Experience with database query languages like SQL
• Experience with SQL databases (e.g., PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQLite).
• Knowledge storage platforms and protocols.
• Proficient with using GIT repositories for code management.
• Knowledge of REST or JSON API integration.
• Experience with sync tools like Rsync and RoboCopy.
• Understanding of pipeline development.
• Knowledge of image data and RAW file formats.
• Working knowledge of Linux, MacOS, and Windows systems.
• Familiarity with applications like MATLAB and DataJoint.
• Knowledge of high-performance computing (HPC) environments and applications.
• Familiarity with and the ability to leverage a wide variety of open-source technologies and tools.
• Knowledge of cloud architecture and implementation on AWS or Azure is a big plus.
• Experience with software deployment and support.
• Proficiency using IT Service managing systems like ServiceNow.
• Excellent documentation skills.
• Familiarity with Confluence and JIRA system.
• Excellent customer service and communication skills.
• Detailed-oriented person.
• A bachelor's degree in MIS or Computer Science preferred or equivalent experience.
Certificates and Licenses
Completion of Harvard IT Academy specified foundational courses (or external equivalent) preferred
Occasionally required to work outside of normal business hours, and may be contacted during off hours
This is a two-year, fully benefits eligible, term position from date of hire, contingent on work performance and continued funding to support the position.
This Staff role may start as a remote position due to the COVID-19 pandemic and while restrictions are still in place. The current remote nature of this role is considered temporary and may change as the University continues to evaluate options. While we continue to monitor the evolving COVID-19 guidelines, local on-campus work may be expected for some roles. Harvard Medical School does support flexible schedules, subject to individual departments’ business needs.
Harvard will require COVID vaccination for all Harvard community members who will have any on-campus presence. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement and exceptions may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
Please note that we are currently conducting a majority of interviews and onboarding remotely and virtually. We appreciate your understanding.
We are committed to cultivating an inclusive workplace culture of faculty, staff, and students with diverse backgrounds, styles, abilities, and motivations. We appreciate and leverage the capabilities, insights, and ideas of all individuals. Harvard Medical School Mission and Community Values
Harvard University offers an outstanding benefits package including:
Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, incredibly affordable classes directly at the Harvard Extension School, and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complementary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events, and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
The Harvard Medical School is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Harvard Medical School strives to cultivate an environment that promotes inclusiveness and collaboration among students, faculty and staff and to create new avenues for discussion that will advance our shared mission to improve the health of people throughout the world.