Accountant, Financial Reporting
Posted: May 13, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionJob Summary
Auburn University’s Division of Business and Finance seeks candidates for the position of Accountant, Financial Reporting. This position assists in preparing and distributing of financial reports and related external audit information for Auburn University.
About Auburn: At Auburn, our work changes lives. Ranked by U.S. News and World Report as a premier public institution, Auburn University is dedicated to shaping the future of the people of Alabama, the nation, and the world through forward-thinking education, life-enhancing research, scholarship and selfless service. Auburn is nationally recognized for its commitment to academic excellence, community outreach, positive work environment, student engagement, and thriving community.
Why employees choose Auburn: Auburn University was named by Forbes Magazine as one of the state of Alabama’s best employers, with employees staying an average of ten years. Employees enjoy competitive benefits that include top-notch health insurance, generous retirement plans, tuition assistance for employees and dependents, flexible spending accounts and more!
Learn more about Auburn’s impact, generous employee benefits, and thriving community by visiting aub.ie/working-at-auburn.
Auburn University is committed to a diverse and inclusive campus environment. Visit www.auburn.edu/inclusion to learn more about our commitment to expanding equity and inclusion for all.
1. Assists in preparing, editing, and reviewing/publishing of the financial statements following federal, state and higher education reporting guidelines.
2. Serves as liaison between colleges, schools and university departments in order to communicate
and monitor mandated federal compliance requirements. Completes the annual service center break-even analysis and approval of the rate development calculation.
3. Coordinates various audit activities to ensure departmental compliance with Federal guidelines and reporting standards. Assists in the preparation of footnotes and annual audit schedules for external auditors and assist them with answering questions about financial activity for the year.
4. Prepares ad hoc reports, monthly reconciliations (including, but not limited to, bank reconciliations, prepaid insurance and payroll to fringe expenditures to financial statements) and analysis of financial data to include but not limited to revenue and expenditure analysis, calculating projections, and explaining variances on request to enhance administrative decisions effecting university wide policies and procedures.
5. Reviews and/or prepares journal entries, collection reports (including reimbursement of purchasing card transactions) and cash transfers for university transactions throughout the year as well as year-end audit adjustments and reclassifications to make sure financial transactions are recorded properly and are in compliance with federal, state and higher education reporting guidelines.
6. Reviews system reports. Researches issues and coordinates with Information System Support personnel to resolve out-of-balance issues. Ensures proper documentation is uploaded to Xtender.
7. Records and monitors internal loans. Prepares monthly entries to charge principal and interest payments. Ensures transactions are updated to the general ledger. On a monthly basis, prepares bond payments, including booking the transactions to the general ledger. Assists in the preparation of the bond Offering Statement. During a bond offering, assists in obtaining data to present to the
8. Prepares monthly statements for the AUHDCC and the Jules Collins Smith Museum and completes legal expense analysis for General Counsel.
9. Reviews wire transfers and related documentation between Procurement and Business Services and Cash Management to ensure wires are initiated by the department and approved by appropriate units.
10. Monitors the University’s Chart of Accounts. Creates new FOPAL elements within the university’s ERP system.
11. Participates in special projects as needed. This may include additional analysis and/or informational gathering for internal and/or external requests. Some of these projects include, but not limited to, reviewing and gathering information for Section 117 reporting and analysis and reporting of cash received on a quarterly and annual basis for the State of Alabama, Compensation & Benefit analysis for Excess Workers Compensation Renewal, Revenue projections for Cyber Insurance policy renewal, as well as completes requested surveys, including but not limited to, National Science Foundation Graduate Students and Post-doctorates in Science survey (GSS), National Science Foundation Higher Education Research and Development Survey (HERD), Electronic Municipal Market Asses (EMMA) filings, Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDs), Alabama Commission on Higher Education (ACHE) Sponsored Research, ACHE FICA and Retirement, ACHE Tuition, ACHE Bonded Indebtedness, Dun and Bradstreet, Moody’s Standards and Poor, Times Higher Education, Peterson, Delaware Study for Institutional
Research, Global Research University Profiles (GRUP), and Thomas Reuters.
May be responsible for training, assisting or assigning tasks to others. May provide input to performance reviews of other employees.
The above essential functions are representative of major duties of positions in this job classification. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs. Other duties may be assigned similar to the above consistent with the knowledge, skills and abilities required for the job. Not all of the duties may be assigned to a position.