Assistant Director of the Jewish Studies Program (Assistant Research Professor)
University Park, PA
Posted: June 24, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionAssistant Director of the Jewish Studies Program (Assistant Research Professor)
The Jewish Studies Program at The Pennsylvania State University seeks applicants for an Assistant Director at the rank of Assistant Research Professor. This non-tenure-line position is a full-time, limited-term appointment (single academic year), starting Fall of 2022, with an excellent possibility of renewal.
Qualified applicants will have a Ph.D. in a field relating to academic Jewish Studies. Candidates whose research aligns with the interests of the faculty in Penn State's Jewish Studies program in history, political science, modern and ancient languages, comparative literature, and philosophy are especially welcome. Candidates must either have demonstrated a commitment to building an inclusive, equitable, and diverse campus community, or describe one or more ways they would envision doing so given the opportunity.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Develop, implement, execute, and assess programs and events sponsored or cosponsored by the Jewish Studies Program which may include receptions, lectures, workshops, and conferences
• Serve as a first contact for students who are affiliated with or interested in the Jewish Studies Program
• Advise students about the curriculum, courses, special programs and opportunities, financial support and requirements for majors, minors, the Holocaust and Genocide as well as the Biblical Studies certificates, and the graduate minor
• Oversee official communication of the program with students, the wider public and alumni by drafting newsletters, handle the program's social media presence and maintain the website, in collaboration with student assistants and faculty members
• Assist the Director of the Jewish Studies Program in liaising with other academic and non-academic units and administrators in the College and the University, with student organizations and different Jewish campus organizations
The Assistant Director will be expected to maintain an active research agenda and will be entitled to research support from the Jewish Studies program. Salary/benefit package is competitive.
Application Instructions: Applications should include a cover letter, a curriculum vita, and a list of three references. In the cover letter, applicants should discuss their experience in managing, creating, or supervising academic programs, as well as in pursuing external funding. We will request additional materials and letters of recommendation from candidates who advance in the search process.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position has been filled. Please direct questions about the process via e-mail to Tobias Brinkman at thb10psu.edu.
Penn State is committed to and accountable for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in all of its forms. We embrace individual uniqueness, foster a culture of inclusion that supports both broad and specific diversity initiatives, leverage the educational and institutional benefits of diversity, and engage all individuals to help them thrive. We value inclusion as a core strength and an essential element of our public service mission.
Apply online at https://apptrkr.com/3175714
CAMPUS SECURITY CRIME STATISTICS: For more about safety at Penn State, and to review the Annual Security Report which contains information about crime statistics and other safety and security matters, please go to http://www.police.psu.edu/clery/, which will also provide you with detail on how to request a hard copy of the Annual Security Report.
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.