Postdoctoral Appointee - Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
ID: 7106989 (Ref.No. 413742)
Posted: August 2, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Argonne National Laboratory invites applications from outstanding candidates for a postdoctoral research position applying artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning / deep learning (ML/DL) methods to challenges in biomedicine as well as for research in foundational aspects of AI. Areas of interest include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Development of risk prediction models in biomedicine
- Application of Privacy Preserving Federated Learning techniques to challenges in biomedicine
- Quantification of model drift and development of continuous learning frameworks for data and models to mitigate the drift
- Development of AI models using multi-modal biomedical data
- Rare-events analysis and multi-modal deep learning in biomedicine
- Foundational research in AI — mathematical, statistical, and information theoretic methods to advance AI for Science; development of new scalable AI methods and software frameworks.
Candidates will have the opportunity to run on advanced supercomputing facilities at the Argonne Leadership Computing Facility (ALCF), including the upcoming Aurora exascale system, other GPU-based systems, as well as specialized AI hardware from vendors such as Cerebras, SambaNova, Graphcore, and Groq.
- A recent or soon-to-be completed PhD (typically completed within 0-3 years) in computer science, physical sciences, engineering, or related field
- Experience in programming with one or more programming languages, such as C, C++, or Python; experience with machine learning methods and deep learning frameworks, such as TensorFlow or PyTorch
- Knowledge of software development practices and techniques for computational and data-intensive science problems
- Ability to conduct interdisciplinary research combining physical sciences / engineering and computing; strong collaboration skills and ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
Application documents requested:
- Candidates are asked to submit a two-page statement of research interests
Job FamilyPostdoctoral Family
Job ProfilePostdoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.