Pre/Post Op Nurse - Per Diem - $2K Sign On Bonus
ID: 7107333 (Ref.No. 10018095)
Posted: August 5, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope’s translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope’s specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation’s “Best Hospitals” in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.
City of Hope’s commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.
The registered professional nurse integrates and practices according to the City of Hope Professional Practice Model to deliver care service excellence. In alignment with City of Hope mission and values, the Division of Nursing and Patient Care Services vision and mission, and with continuous focus on the patient, family and community, carries out the nursing process, coordinates interdisciplinary care planning, documents according to standards, including validation of the patient and caregiver’s understanding of the plan of care and expected outcomes. The nurse is a change agent, committed to lifelong learning, professional development and embodiment of City of Hope organizational mission and values, and the values and ethos of the profession of nursing.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Understands and applies the City of Hope Code of Conduct, Code of Organizational Ethics, policies, procedures, performance and quality improvement objectives, promotion of a culture of service excellence, attendance, safety, environmental and infection control guidelines. Maintains integrity and confidentiality.
- Accepts the tenets of professional nursing practice and maintaining healthy interpersonal relationships (Manthey, 1969, 2014; Kouloroutis 2004, 2009; O’Rourke, 2013).
- Responsibility, Authority and Accountability
- Commitment to my Coworkers©
- Role Based Practice
- Demonstrates competent understanding of and application of
- The Swanson Model of Caring and Healing© (Kristen Swanson, 2013 [used with permission])
- The City of Hope Quality of Life Model (Ferrell prc.coh.org)
- Demonstrates competent application of the nursing process according to the Role Based Practice model:
- Diagnosis / condition
- Plan of care
- Teach / Inform
- Dynamic interaction (circularity) among steps a – f
- Assess patient level of stability and interrelatedness of direct and indirect RN provided care / dose of care
- Care Coordination
- Demonstrates a high level of professional practice which supports the delivery of care excellence, extraordinary outcomes for our patients, families and communities, and fosters collaboration and teamwork to achieve positive working relationships with all nurses, advanced practice providers, physicians, allied health and support staff members, with attention to self-care and healthy work / life balance.
- Demonstrates competent understanding of the overall plan of care and coordinates the nursing plan of care
- Consults and collaborates with other disciplines to modify the plan of care as necessary and to ensure optimal patient care and outcomes
- Assists members of the health care team with examinations, procedures and other processes related to direct patient care.
- Administers and controls medications and infusions, including narcotics, chemotherapy and biologic therapies, blood component transfusions, etc.
- The professional registered nurse maintains a safe, comfortable and therapeutic environment for patients and families.
- Education / Patient, family, community and self
- Demonstrates competent assessment of patient and family including an assessment of healthcare literacy and identification of factors within the domains of the City of Hope Quality of Life model, which may impact the patient’s ability to comprehend and internalize patient education. The professional registered nurse intervenes to facilitate understanding, address and minimize or eliminate barriers and to provide patient – centered education which is accessible and meaningful to the patient.
- The professional registered nurse
- Employs the teach back method to validate the patient’s understanding of education.
- Includes the designated caregiver in the patient / family education.
- Is encouraged to recognize that we are part of many communities and, as a professional role responsibility, to participate in the education of our communities about health, wellness, prevention and continuum of care issues relevant to the communities.
- Uses evidence-based practice and best available research to inform practice
- Enhances professional growth and development
- Participates in unit based projects and activities, staff meetings, councils, work teams
- Reviews current literature, attends educational programs, workshops and in-services
- Actively participates in shared decision-making / participative leadership through councils, committees, work teams, task forces, and unit-based practice councils.
- The professional registered nurse is committed to lifelong learning, and as such, is encouraged to continually pursue education, both formal and informal, to achieve and exceed the minimum expected level of education for the professional registered nurse (the Bachelor’s degree). The registered professional nurse is also required by California state law to attend continuing professional education to maintain licensure and City of Hope encourages nurses to pursue all venues of nursing and other intellectual enrichment.
- Precepts new RNs and nursing students in exemplary professional practice
- Mentors and coaches new and existing RN staff and ancillary support staff
- Able to function in a Charge Nurse RN as needed
- Strives to provide excellence in patient and staff experience
- Uses systems, electronic and other documentation according to standards and organizational policy and procedure to ensure and maintain an accurate record of nursing care.
- Effectively uses and applies information technology to give and receive information (e.g. email, basic Microsoft Office applications, LMS (learning management systems) access, information on Share point or other web-based applications).
- Maintains professional portfolio, per clinical ladder requirements.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s degree in Nursing is required.
- Three to five years related experience (PACU required)
- Must have excellent oral and written communication and organizational skills
- Current California RN license
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) CPR Card through American Heart Association
- Current Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Card through American Heart Association
Preferred education experience and skills:
- Bilingual preferred.
- National certification ( must be obtained within three years of hire and must be maintained thereafter in order to retain Clin III status)
- CPAN and/or CAPA certification
- As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
- PACU experience required
- This position will rotate within Pre-Op and PACU areas and will include some coverage of acute care circumstances.
- Shift: Days - 8 hours
- Job Status: Full-time, Monday - Friday
- Certification pay may apply
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
City of Hope is a community of people characterized by our diversity of thought, background and approach, but tied together by our commitment to care for and cure those with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. The innovation that our diversity produces in the areas of research, treatment, philanthropy and education has made us national leaders in this fight. Our unique and diverse workforce provides us the ability to understand our patients' needs, deliver compassionate care and continue the quest for a cure for life-threatening diseases. At City of Hope, diversity and inclusion is a core value at the heart of our mission. We strive to create an inclusive workplace environment that engages all of our employees and provides them with opportunities to develop and grow, both personally and professionally. Each day brings an opportunity to strengthen our work, leverage our different perspectives and improve our patients’ experiences by learning from others. Diversity and inclusion is about much more than policies and campaigns. It is an integral part of who we are as an institution, how we operate and how we see our future.