Senior Staff Research Scientist
ID: 7107448 (Ref.No. ta222100)
Posted: August 5, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Come join the staff at OU HSC and become a part of Oklahoma's premier research university which leads the state in education and career opportunities. OU HSC is one of only four comprehensive academic health centers in the nation with seven professional colleges. We are currently building world-class institutes for the treatment of diabetes and cancer. We are looking for a Senior Staff Research Scientist to join the team.
- Non-tenured, specified term scientific position
- Responsible for the management of a departments research laboratory
- Plans, directs, and conducts research, providing support to various research activities
- Supervises and trains laboratory staff
- Ensures all employees follow laboratory safety regulations and laboratory policies and procedures
- Designs, develops, and implements laboratory operational policies and procedures
- Develops and implements strategic goals for the lab and discusses with supervisor
- Plans, develops, and directs new projects to include but not limited to program analysis and possible sources of potential sponsored funding
- Independently conducts research projects to develop methodologies, instrumentation, procedures, and constructs tests
- Collaborates with other researchers
- Oversees laboratory staff to ensure laboratory protocols and safety procedures are being followed
- Compiles data to prepare research manuscripts for publication in peer reviewed journals
- Conducts literature searches in order to stay current with ongoing research in a specific field or project
- Reviews data collected by laboratory staff and conducts analyses by interpreting, drawing conclusions and documenting the data
- Presents research results to other researchers, committees, faculty, and at scientific meetings
- Supervises laboratory personnel
- Responsible for recruiting, training, conducting performance evaluations, disciplining, delegating, and monitoring employee's work
- May have teaching responsibilities
- Performs related duties as needed to successfully fulfill the functions of the position.
Education: Ph.D. or M.D.
Experience: 36 months Postdoctoral Research Fellow experience plus 24 months experience as a professional Scientist in a research laboratory environment.
- Advanced knowledge of their scientific field
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify alternative solutions or conclusions
- Ability to compile and analyze data
- Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with individuals, agencies, and other entities to encourage cooperative strategies or develop information and interpret findings
- Excellent verbal and written skills in order to prepare technical and research papers, grant applications, and publish and communicate findings to peers and at conferences
- Advanced working knowledge of computers to store, process and analyze data
- Must be detail oriented
- Ability to handle stressful situations and meet deadlines
- Physical: Standing for prolonged periods. Manual dexterity. Reaching, bending, stooping, and handling laboratory equipment. Manual dexterity
- Environmental: Laboratory Environment. Exposure to biohazardous materials, chemicals, odors, blood borne pathogens, or carcinogens.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The University of Oklahoma, in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, disability, political beliefs, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. This includes, but is not limited to, admissions, employment, financial aid, housing, services in educational programs or activities, and health care services that the University operates or provides.
The University of Oklahoma is committed to achieving a diverse, equitable, and inclusive university community by recognizing each person's unique contributions, background, and perspectives. The University of Oklahoma strives to cultivate a sense of belonging and emotional support for all, recognizing that fostering an inclusive environment for all is vital in the pursuit of academic and inclusive excellence in all aspects of our institutional mission.