Data Analyst - Precision Medicine
ID: 7108229 (Ref.No. 10017278)
Posted: September 28, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope’s translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope’s specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation’s “Best Hospitals” in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.
City of Hope’s commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.
Reporting to the Director, Precision Medicine, this position is responsible for data collection, performing analysis to validate the accuracy and integrity of the data, updating and/or enhancing existing databases, creating new databases, and providing reports based on information housed in the various databases. Advises applications development staff and users on database solutions to business problems, data architectures, database management system facilities and capabilities, and the operation and tuning of databases. Works on problems of moderate scope where analysis of situations or data requires a review of a variety of factors and has the ability to draw well-informed conclusions from research findings and relevant data and present recommendations. Identify innovative techniques and ideas regarding routine processes used to gather and analyze data and maintenance of data in databases that will increase efficiency.
Key Responsibilities include:
Database and Data Management
- Collect data that assists with establishing benchmarks for the overall business objectives of the BRI and the COHCCC
- Oversee evolution of existing databases as well as the creation of new ones as business needs change over time
- Incorporate new data feeds as they become available and keep up to date with changes to SFS to prevent overlapping data
- Investigate opportunities to enhance database architecture to reduce manual processing and increase analytical capabilities
- Identify innovative techniques and ideas regarding routine processes used to gather and analyze data and maintenance of data in databases that will increase efficiency; Provide database support to include data input, data analysis, evaluation of data, maintenance of data and quality control service of mission specific related databases
- Evaluate the completeness and validity of datasets
- Gather analyze and maintain institutional data from various sources to support planning and other management processes as well as other reporting requirements.
- Implement data gathering procedures and design and maintain necessary files and databases necessary to support analysis and reporting needs.
- Studies and designs benchmark data to be used for institutional comparisons and peer studies.
- Coordinates collections and reporting information for various surveys and inquiries regarding institutional data.
Reporting and Analytics
- Perform data analysis including multivariate analysis
- Summarize statistical findings
- Completes surveys requests by COH management, federal agencies state offices associations and others as well as for internal projects and forecasting
- Prepare and execute weekly, monthly and annual reports documenting status or process.
- Continually monitor data and provide dashboards, reports and communication updates that keep appropriate individuals apprised of the information.
- Develops and produces written and oral presentations for campus and COH administration and external agencies.
- Develops models for analysis of historical trends and projection of future trends.
- Act as project manager by organizing coordinating managing and producing reports studies and survey for other special projects as assigned.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance, or Information Management, preferred. Experience may substitute for minimum education requirements.
- 3+ years relevant business experience
- 3+ years of experience with related industry software applications (spreadsheet and database)
- 3+ years of experience with relational databases and reporting and analytical software
Preferred education experience and skills:
- 3+ years of experience as a data analyst, preferably in a research/academic environment
As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
City of Hope is a community of people characterized by our diversity of thought, background and approach, but tied together by our commitment to care for and cure those with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. The innovation that our diversity produces in the areas of research, treatment, philanthropy and education has made us national leaders in this fight. Our unique and diverse workforce provides us the ability to understand our patients' needs, deliver compassionate care and continue the quest for a cure for life-threatening diseases. At City of Hope, diversity and inclusion is a core value at the heart of our mission. We strive to create an inclusive workplace environment that engages all of our employees and provides them with opportunities to develop and grow, both personally and professionally. Each day brings an opportunity to strengthen our work, leverage our different perspectives and improve our patients’ experiences by learning from others. Diversity and inclusion is about much more than policies and campaigns. It is an integral part of who we are as an institution, how we operate and how we see our future.