Vice President for Facilities
Posted: September 16, 2022
Application Deadline: October 14, 2022
Job Type: Full Time
Job Number: 2015-1603744
Location: CA 94556, CA
Department: Physical Plant
10/14/2022 11:59 PM Pacific
Founded in 1863, Saint Mary's is a residential campus nestled 20 miles east of San Francisco in the picturesque Moraga Valley. Based in the Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions, Saint Mary's currently enrolls more than 3,000 students from diverse backgrounds in undergraduate and graduate programs. The De La Salle Christian Brothers, the largest teaching order of the Roman Catholic Church, guide the spiritual and academic character of the College.
As a comprehensive and independent institution, Saint Mary's offers undergraduate and graduate programs integrating liberal and professional education. Saint Mary's reputation for excellence, innovation, and responsiveness in education stems from its vibrant heritage as a Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts institution. An outstanding, committed faculty and staff that value shared inquiry, integrative learning, and student interaction bring these traditions to life in the 21st century. The College is committed to the educational benefits of diversity.
Saint Mary's is a beautiful campus just 23 miles east of San Francisco distinguished by the white walls and red tile roofs of its Spanish Renaissance-California Mission-style architecture, and surrounded by grass-covered hills that are sometimes crowned with fog blown in from the Pacific. The campus is accessible by freeway, public transit, and train, and is within easy distance of two major metropolitan airports. The drive to get here will also take you through some truly memorable scenery.
Currently reporting to the President and serving as a member of the President's Senior Staff, the Vice President for Facilities will (a) oversee facility for the institution; (b) manage subordinate directors in areas responsible for new construction projects, renovations, plant operations (maintenance, custodial, and grounds/landscape), transportation fleet, environmental health and safety, and special projects; (c) prioritize capital improvement projects including those in the Campus Master Plan (d) collaborate strategically with the Senior Leadership team to initiate positive change for the College.
Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following.
• Manage over 68 College buildings across two sites in Moraga with gross square footage in excess of 1 Million square feet, and total overall property 443 acres.
• Promote a culture of continuous improvement and forward thinking.
• Conduct facility and operational assessment, planning, and improvement.
• Cultivate and maintain working relationships with relevant business, city, public utilities, contractors, and state and federal agencies.
• Ensure safety and compliance in all areas of facilities operation, including daily operations
of physical plant and construction projects.
• Build a high performing diverse team of professionals, skilled craftsmen, laborers,
and support staff focused on customer service and teamwork.
• Oversee functional responsibility for construction, remodeling and renovation, building maintenance, custodial services, landscaping and grounds maintenance, energy consumption and utility costs, vehicle fleet operations and maintenance, and meetings, events and conference services.
• Establish and strategically leverage service providers, third-party vendors and contractors; evaluate all vendor proposals ensuring compliance with College policies regarding purchasing and cost-effectiveness.
Campus Master Plan
• Collaborate strategically with Senior Leadership and members of the Board of Trustees to develop and maintain a long-range Campus Master Plan for all physical locations.
• Develop a plan for the full utilization of existing property and strategically acquiring additional properties as needed.
• Advise the President, Vice Presidents, and other administrators on all matters related to physical facilities.
• Develop and manage a deferred maintenance plan.
• Manage operating budget in excess of $14 million annually for facilities including maintenance, grounds, custodial.
• Demonstrate ability to plan strategically and analyze effectively with budgeting, financial,
and business acumen.
• Partner with the Senior Leadership team and their administrative departments to meet facility and operational needs.
Broader College Involvement
• Serve as a member of the President's Senior Staff.
• Serve on College committees as assigned.
• Serve as an advocate in the community building relationships with civic leadership,
religious organizations, business and corporate partnerships, and other leaders.
• Treat members of the campus community with fairness, dignity, and respect - seeking
a spirit of unity and harmony to achieve a common mission.
• Fulfill other duties as assigned by the President.
Experience and Qualifications
The successful candidate will possess a depth of experience in administration and a track
record of success including knowledge of construction, real estate, and operations.
An exhibited understanding and readiness to contribute to the Lasallian liberal arts mission of
the institution is strongly desired. The ability to work effectively with diverse constituencies in a college environment should be evident.
REQUIRED: Bachelor's degree, preferably in Business, Management,
Engineering/Industrial/Construction Sciences, or Higher Education Leadership.
• Minimum of five (5) years of experience in administration.
• Outstanding relational, communication, and organizational skills.
• Ability to cast vision, implement change, and advance the College toward the
Other important characteristics include a strong work ethic, competitive nature, personal integrity, emotional intelligence, a sense of humor, and a vocational call to higher education. Evidence of a commitment to lifelong learning and professional growth is also desired.
Application Instructions: Please apply online at http://jobs.stmarys-ca.edu/. Your application is considered complete if you include the following:
• Cover letter that specifically addresses how you meet the qualifications and are prepared to support the Mission of the College
• The name and contact information for three (3) professional references
• Consent authorizing a broader inquiry which may include reference checks, a motor vehicle check, and a third-party background check
Saint Mary's is an equal employment opportunity employer. We support inclusive excellence and are committed to creating a safe and welcoming community for all.
College policy prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, gender stereotyping, and gender identity, taking a protected leave (e.g. family medical or pregnancy leave), or on any other basis protected by applicable laws.
Saint Mary's College annually collects information about campus crimes and other reportable incidents in accordance with the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. To view the Saint Mary's College Report, see the website here http://www.stmarys-ca.edu/public-safety/annual-security-and-fire-safety-report-0. To request a paper copy please call Public Safety at (925) 631-4284. The report includes the type of crime, venue, and number of occurrences.
Please apply online at https://apptrkr.com/3458101
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
We envision a community that goes beyond tolerance of differences to one guided by social justice, cultural competence and engaged citizenship. We know we can reach greater heights of excellence by learning from diverse people.