RN Care Manager (Pediatrics) - TULSA
ID: 7114783 (Ref.No. ta223002)
Posted: October 26, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
OU Sooner Health Access Network
Pediatrics RN Care Manager-Embedded in the OU Tulsa Pediatrics Clinic
Purpose of Job: The Pediatrics RN Care Manager is responsible for all aspects of care for high risk pediatric members with chronic behavioral and/or health conditions, partnering with the members parents and/or guardians or their caregivers, physicians and the health care team to provide timely access to ongoing and long term needed care, continuity of care across all settings, informed and shared decision making, and linkages to supportive services and community resources. This also includes palliative care.
- Identify and document member’s goals.
- Assessment of member’s medical and behavioral health, and social determinants of health.
- Assess barriers to achieving goals including health status, functional abilities, behavioral health, social issues, environmental and safety concerns, caregiver stability, self-management skills, and life care planning.
- Assess member’s strengths and confidence in achieving goals.
- Monitor and evaluate plans including progress toward goals, health status, medication reconciliation and member experience.
- Review and interpret medical test results.
- Evaluate effectiveness of medical treatments.
- Recognize and communicate signs and symptoms of change in member’s health status.
- Depending on the care management pathway followed, contact is provided daily to at least monthly to members:
- home visits to evaluate home environments and family relationships, and to provide support and self-management coaching.
- medical and pycho-social appointments to facilitate collaboration
- telephone calls.
- hospital visits.
- secure email.
- Crisis management.
- Link member and caregiver to supportive community services as needed and follow up to confirm contact.
- Facilitate access, communication and collaboration between member and all providers.
- Provide and coordinate transition services across all settings of care.
- Communicate care plan to all providers in all settings of care (Emergency Department, hospital, rehabilitation facility, home care, nursing home and specialists).
- Ensure member, caregivers and providers receive timely information for treatment decisions across all settings.
- Coordinate/verify services, equipment and supplies are in place.
- Reconcile medications at every contact.
- Regularly maintain records to document and monitor the care management activities in the management information system.
- Participate in regular interdisciplinary case staffing meetings and reviews.
- Communicate and collaborate with other providers (e.g., specialists, respiratory therapists, nutritionists, physical therapists, home health providers, care managers, social workers, etc.) by optimizing the office-based care team to send, receive, and triage information flows among the providers.
- Communicate with, educate and advise members and family, helping them to understand conditions and treatments.
- Participate in Quality Improvement activities.
- Monitor identified performance measures and deliverables and provide regular progress reports - Report submission will be determined as performance measures and deliverables are identified.
- Follow and practice defined evidence based protocols in all care management related activities and responsibilities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate and apply principles of person-centered, strength-based philosophy, motivational interviewing, shared decision making, coaching and adult learning
- Demonstrate a sensitivity and responsiveness to a variety of cultural values and beliefs and social determinants of health
- Practice trauma informed approach
- Serve as an OU representative on community boards and task forces
Registered Nurse (RN), Bachelor of Science in Nursing or Associates Degree in Nursing with at least two years’ experience in care management or currently enrolled in a BSN Program, with at least three years’ experience in community based nursing.
License in good standing in the state of Oklahoma
Excellent oral and written communication skills
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: The University of Oklahoma, in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, disability, political beliefs, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. This includes, but is not limited to, admissions, employment, financial aid, housing, services in educational programs or activities, and health care services that the University operates or provides.
Diversity Statement: The University of Oklahoma is committed to achieving a diverse, equitable, and inclusive university community by recognizing each person's unique contributions, background, and perspectives. The University of Oklahoma strives to cultivate a sense of belonging and emotional support for all, recognizing that fostering an inclusive environment for all is vital in the pursuit of academic and inclusive excellence in all aspects of our institutional mission.