Scene Shop Supervisor
ID: 7114914 (Ref.No. ta222952)
Posted: October 27, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Scene Shop Supervisor is responsible for supporting the artistic vision of directors and designers across four of five schools within the Weitzenhoffer College of Fine Arts as it relates to the realization of scenic designs for School of Drama and University Theatre. The Scene Shop Manager manages all aspects of scenery construction and the coordination of technical elements. With this the supervisor oversees backstage operations, maintains department equipment, and manages the physical spaces of the scenic studio, theatres, and support areas. Proven ability in personnel management and budgeting; excellent work ethic including time management, workflow management, self-motivation, and interpersonal communication skills; ability to collaborate and work as part of a team; flexible schedule, including weekends and evenings as necessary. Other duties as assigned.
Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Supervise build, load-in, strike and storage of sets and props
- Fabricate sets and props
- Supervise student employees and lab students
- Maintain scene shop equipment and equipment and storage
- Assist with events in University Theatre
- Manage scene shop budget
- Teach and implement safety and security procedures for the Theatre
- Assist with upkeep and maintenance of theatre space in University Theatre
Required Education: Bachelor Degree
Equivalency/Substitution: Will accept 48 months of related experience in lieu of the Bachelor's degree.
- Ability to accurately read and understand written materials and instructions
- Read and understand complex written materials such as blueprints, metrics or technical manuals
- Highly organized and able to handle multiple projects and deadlines
- Ability to work effectively and patiently with students
- Ability to collaborate with all departments and collegues
- Experience with power tools
- Experience with scenic carpentry techniques
- Welding experience
- Ability to read and construct from theatrical drafting
- Current knowledge of safety practices for scene shops
- Experience supervising construction crews.
- Familiarity with OSHA Standards for safety and compliance
- Driver's license required for relocating large set items
Advertised Physical Requirements:
- Must be able to climb, crouch, pull, push, engage in repetitive motions, communicate, stand and see including color, depth perception and clarity.
- Graduate degree in Technical Theatre or professional equivalent.
- Automation experience
- Advanced carpentry skills
- Furniture construction
- Theatrical rigging experience
Supervision: Scenic Studio Undergraduate assistants and lab students
Special Instructions: If you are selected as a final candidate for this position, you will be subject to The University of Oklahoma Norman Campus Tuberculosis Testing policy. To view the policy, visit https://hr.ou.edu/Policies-Handbooks/TB-Testing.
Diversity Statement: The University of Oklahoma is committed to achieving a diverse, equitable, and inclusive university community by recognizing each person's unique contributions, background, and perspectives. The University of Oklahoma strives to cultivate a sense of belonging and emotional support for all, recognizing that fostering an inclusive environment for all is vital in the pursuit of academic and inclusive excellence in all aspects of our institutional mission.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: The University of Oklahoma, in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations, does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, disability, political beliefs, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. This includes, but is not limited to, admissions, employment, financial aid, housing, services in educational programs or activities, and health care services that the University operates or provides.