Senior Dental Surgical Assistant - Surgical Sciences
ID: 7114915 (Ref.No. ta223025)
Posted: October 27, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center (OU HSC) is one of the nation's few academic health centers with all health-related colleges - Allied Health, Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, Public Health, and the Graduate College. OU HSC serves approximately 4,000 students in more than 70 undergraduate and graduate degree programs on campuses in Oklahoma City and Tulsa.
- Assists faculty, residents, and dental students with oral surgery procedures
- Acts as a Lead to other Dental Surgical Assistants
- Provides surgical assistance to faculty, residents, and dental students
- Assists surgeon with the placement of implants during the surgical procedure
- Prepares patients for the procedure with proper monitors for sedation
- Prepares surgical trays with instrumentation for basic extractions, IV extractions, biopsies, and implants
- Sterilizes instruments
- Prepares surgical rooms for the proper procedures
- Prepares trays with needed materials such as anesthesia, implants, bonding agents, bone grafting, and collagen membrane
- Reads and notates monitor readings from the procedure
- Maintains awareness of emergency situations and responds according to departmental policy
- Exposes and develops x-rays
- Recovers patients from sedations
- Gives prescriptions from the surgeon with dosage instruction and proper home care instructions
- Cleans and sanitizes rooms after patient treatment
- Completes paperwork for surgeries and sedations including anesthesia records, drug cards, and consent forms
- Properly completes all paperwork from the procedure
- Performs basic administrative office procedures such as chart management, seating and dismissing patients, etc.
- Continues dental surgical education by attending training sessions to learn concepts of sterile procedures, sterilization, radiology, dental record keeping, fire and safety procedures, Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations, nitrous oxide administration, and basic Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)Acts as the lead employee
- Trains new assistants and acts as the unit leader
- Performs various duties as needed to successfully fulfill the function of the position
Education: High School Diploma or GED
Experience: 24 months experience in Oral Surgery
- Radiology Certification
- Nitrous Oxide
- Certification Dental Anesthesia Assistant National Certification (DAANCE)
- Basic Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Physical: Standing for long periods of time. Manual dexterity. Speaking, bending, and reaching.
- Environmental: Clinic Environment. Exposure to infectious diseases and radiation from x-ray.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: The University of Oklahoma, in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, disability, political beliefs, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. This includes, but is not limited to, admissions, employment, financial aid, housing, services in educational programs or activities, and health care services that the University operates or provides.
Diversity Statement: The University of Oklahoma is committed to achieving a diverse, equitable, and inclusive university community by recognizing each person's unique contributions, background, and perspectives. The University of Oklahoma strives to cultivate a sense of belonging and emotional support for all, recognizing that fostering an inclusive environment for all is vital in the pursuit of academic and inclusive excellence in all aspects of our institutional mission.