Laboratory Research Manager
ID: 7115336 (Ref.No. ta223053)
Posted: November 2, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Come join the staff at OU HSC and become a part of Oklahoma's premier research university which leads the state in education and career opportunities. OU HSC is one of only four comprehensive academic health centers in the nation with seven professional colleges.
This person will be responsible for management of a metabolomics laboratory and equipment, using liquid chromatography mass spectrometry (LC-MS) based strategies. Develops and implements strategic goals to meet the laboratories needs which may include development and management of projects related to the laboratory’s research mission. We have a wonderful group and looking for a Laboratory Manager to join our team.
- Responsible for management of a basic science research laboratory
- Develops and implements strategic goals to meet the department’s needs which may include development and management of projects related to the departments clinical, teaching, and research mission
- Oversees the development and implementation of laboratory operational policies and procedures for the departments basic science researchers
- Ensures department has the infrastructure and resources required to perform its role effectively and efficiently
- Establishes and maintains an inventory control system for supplies and equipment and ensures that work orders for lab maintenance are placed in a timely and efficient manner
- Oversees the development and implementation of strategic goals for growth of the basic science research labs
- Manages a variety of projects to ensure financial, quality, service, and operational goals are achieved
- Develops methodologies and procedures for biomedical application, analyzes data, and may present findings to the scientific audience and general public
- May plan, develop, and manage projects in support of departmental clinical and research missions producing greater integration and effectiveness of activities
- Confers with other researchers and medical staff to plan or review projects or provide expertise to improve data acquisition and analysis
- Develops schedules and timelines for the project
- Oversees the development and implementation of standardized operating procedures
- Serves a key role in the facilitation between operating laboratories, researchers, and principal investigators to continuously enhance and develop cross-functional research interactions and opportunities
- May work as a senior level expert in a laboratory
- Assists with planning, developing, and managing projects in support of departmental clinical and research missions producing greater integrations and effectiveness of activities
- Responsible for build-outs including program analysis and sources of potential sponsored funding
- May assist with planning and construction of new laboratory facilities as well as associated project reporting
- Plans, develops, and maintains training programs for Lab Technicians and Researchers working in the research laboratory
- Ensures all employees work in a safe environment
- Provides to management a summary of progress, risk of all projects, results, and queries related to laboratory performance
- May teach classes or seminars
- Performs related duties as needed to successfully fulfill the function of the position
Education: Master’s Degree in a Biological Science, Chemistry, or Physical Science or related field
Experience: 60 months experience working in a basic science research facility laboratory, which 24 months experience as a senior-level supervisor and/or leadership role in a research laboratory
Equivalency: Will accept a Bachelor’s Degree + 24 months related experience in lieu of the Master’s Degree for a total of 84 months experience
- Advanced knowledge of laboratory safety and Federal, State, and University guidelines
- Ability to train and supervise
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing
- Proficient with a computer and applicable software
- Ability to analyze scientific data and publish in scientific journals
- Physical: Sitting for prolonged periods. Reaching, bending, walking, and standing. Speaking and listening. Manual dexterity.
- Environmental: Laboratory Environment. Exposure to chemicals, biohazardous materials, and/or blood borne pathogens.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: The University of Oklahoma, in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, disability, political beliefs, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. This includes, but is not limited to, admissions, employment, financial aid, housing, services in educational programs or activities, and health care services that the University operates or provides.
Diversity Statement: The University of Oklahoma is committed to achieving a diverse, equitable, and inclusive university community by recognizing each person's unique contributions, background, and perspectives. The University of Oklahoma strives to cultivate a sense of belonging and emotional support for all, recognizing that fostering an inclusive environment for all is vital in the pursuit of academic and inclusive excellence in all aspects of our institutional mission.