Intermediate Technology Support Specialist
ID: 7115657 (Ref.No. ta223023)
Posted: November 8, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Title: Intermediate Technology Support Specialist (level II)
Team: Mission Support
Do you enjoy finding unique solutions to unique problems in research, academics, and administration?
This position requires an equal emphasis on both the system-facing (server and clients) and the people-facing (customer and service provider teams) roles. Successful candidates will possess the technical expertise to administer servers/services/infrastructure, consult with departments regarding their needs, and provide user-facing support to resolve technical issues.
The Intermediate Information Technology Support Specialist is a valuable member of the OU IT Mission Support team. This position will serve as a dedicated resource to the Physics Department, addressing area-specific technology issues, providing direct departmental support and ownership of technical solutions, supporting research computing needs, and managing of technology projects within their specific scope of expertise. The position involves: providing technology support, analysis and guidance for Physics staff; managing and maintaining departmental infrastructure and specialized software/licensing; collaborating with both Physics and OU IT.
The RC/LSA (Research Computing/Linux System Admin) is responsible for Research Computing throughout the Dodge Physics Complex. This position involves: management of a set of networked Linux machines; maintaining and adding specialized software and licenses; specing, ordering, and installing new systems and new disk subsystems into the network; interacting with and training of faculty and students; interfacing with both OU and CAS IT. This position provides unique solutions to unique problems in research, academics, and administration.
Required Education: Bachelors degre, AND:
- Required: 36 months experience as IT Help Desk, Client Support, or related field.
Equivalency Substitution: Will accept 48 months related experience in lieu of the Bachelors degree for a total of 84 months related experience.
- Knowledge of different applications and systems
- Ability to diagnosis and solve IT problems
- Knowledge of remote desktop applications
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing
- Excellent interpersonal skills
Advertised Physical Requirements:
- Sits for prolonged periods of time. Use of computer. Manual dexterity. Communicate effectively and listens. Standard Office Environment.
- Experience with scientific computing is a plus
- Linux server installation, configuration, and administration
- Experience in Red Hat IdM, FreeIPA, kerberos, LDAP, NFS, NIS, HTTP, DNS, DHCP, and autofs
- Understanding of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) and CentOS versions 7, 8, and 9
- Ability to manage Virtual machines (VMs), firewall rules, different levels of networking and the ability to interface with the enterprise networking team
- Fostering long-term relationships with researchers and staff members to better understand their computational needs
- Scripting in BASH, Python, and managing Condor
- Installing, testing, and maintaining an extremely broad range of scientific software on demand
- The desire to obtain new skills and work in a collegiate work environment
- Flexibility to maintain a broad range of application software
Special Instructions: If you are selected as a final candidate for this position, you will be subject to The University of Oklahoma Norman Campus Tuberculosis Testing policy. To view the policy, visit https://hr.ou.edu/Policies-Handbooks/TB-Testing.
Diversity Statement: The University of Oklahoma is committed to achieving a diverse, equitable, and inclusive university community by recognizing each person's unique contributions, background, and perspectives. The University of Oklahoma strives to cultivate a sense of belonging and emotional support for all, recognizing that fostering an inclusive environment for all is vital in the pursuit of academic and inclusive excellence in all aspects of our institutional mission.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: The University of Oklahoma, in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations, does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, disability, political beliefs, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. This includes, but is not limited to, admissions, employment, financial aid, housing, services in educational programs or activities, and health care services that the University operates or provides.