Oncology Research LPN
ID: 7116671 (Ref.No. ta223280)
Posted: November 22, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
OU Health Stephenson Cancer Center is Oklahoma’s only National Cancer Institute (NCI)-Designated Cancer Center, and one of only 71 NCI-Designated Cancer Centers in the United States. This highly competitive accreditation ensures that our patients receive the highest standard of care and have access to the most advanced cancer treatment options.
At the Stephenson Cancer Center, we have an exciting new job opportunity that could be right for you! The Oncology Research LPN performs nursing duties for Clinical Trials Office such as patient preparation, sample collection, research, information gathering, patient follow-up, data collection, and medication administration. This position works under the direction or supervision of an RN or Physician.
- Patient Preparation. Prepares patient for examination by the physician to include but not limited to having charts ready and draping and positioning the patient on the exam table.
- Sample Collection. Collects samples from patients including blood, urine, etc. Prepares samples for analysis or shipment.
- Research. Assists research team with complex procedures to include but not limited to PK/PD and study biopsies without RN supervision.
- Information Gathering. Takes and records various readings to include but not limited to heart and respiratory rate, blood pressure, weight, and body temperature. Patient Follow Up. Makes follow up patient appointments or follows up on patient appointments. Answers routine questions from patients, family, or legal guardian.
- Data Collection. Collects all laboratory reports, data, and records.
- Medication Administration. Under direction of physician or other medical personnel, administers medication to patients.
- Patient Monitoring. Monitor research patients for toxicity including grading and attribution as well as response assessment.
- Clinical Coordination. Coordinates all aspects of clinical care on study in collaboration with Research RN, physicians and other member of the study team. Patient Screening. Assists researchers by recruiting patients, determining if they are suitable for the study, administering questionnaires, taking medical histories, and answering questions. Screens, consents, and enrolls patients in complex and multi-modality treatment protocols.
- Collaboration. Inter-departmental collaboration with campus departments to schedule study procedures, including interventional radiology, ophthalmology, cardiology and surgery.
- As Needed. Performs various duties as needed to successfully fulfill the function.
Education: Completion of an accredited practical nursing program.
Experience: 12 months clinical experience
Certifications/ Licenses: Certification as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), and registered as a Licensed Practical Nurse in the State of Oklahoma.
- Knowledge of techniques needed to diagnose and treat injuries and diseases which includes but not limited to treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health care measures.
- Working knowledge of HIPAA.
- Ability to give full attention to what is being said and understand the points being made.
- Ability to ask questions when appropriate.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to deal with staff, physicians, visitors, vendors, and patients in a tactful, diplomatic, and pleasant manner.
- Ability to work in stressful situations. Must be detail oriented and organized.
- Ability to work as a team member.
- Physical: Ability to engage in repetitive motion.
- Environmental: Clinical environment.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: The University of Oklahoma, in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, disability, political beliefs, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. This includes, but is not limited to, admissions, employment, financial aid, housing, services in educational programs or activities, and health care services that the University operates or provides.
Diversity Statement: The University of Oklahoma is committed to achieving a diverse, equitable, and inclusive university community by recognizing each person's unique contributions, background, and perspectives. The University of Oklahoma strives to cultivate a sense of belonging and emotional support for all, recognizing that fostering an inclusive environment for all is vital in the pursuit of academic and inclusive excellence in all aspects of our institutional mission.