Lab Animal Technician Husbandry
ID: 7116757 (Ref.No. ta223289)
Posted: November 23, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Come join the staff at OU HSC and become a part of Oklahoma's premier research university which leads the state in education and career opportunities. OU HSC is one of only four comprehensive academic health centers in the nation with seven professional colleges. We are currently building world-class institutes for the treatment of diabetes and cancer. This position is responsible for the daily care of research animals, to include but not limited to cage cleaning and sanitation, handling and restraining animals, feeding, treatments, and facility maintenance.
- Observes animals for obvious abnormalities and reports to designated personnel
- Transfers animals from soiled to clean enclosures, protecting individual identity of animals
- Provides sanitation of equipment and animal cages to ensure cleanliness
- Operates industrial cage washing machines
- Prepares machines for startup and shut down
- Ensures all equipment, bedding, and cages are clean and in working condition
- Reports any problems to designated personnel
- Provides food and water to laboratory animals
- Follows safety procedures and requests assistance if wok deviates from routine to ensure standard policies and practices are followed.
- Attends training sessions to include radiation safety, laboratory safety, blood borne pathogens, and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
- Performs various duties as needed to successfully fulfill the function of the position
Education: High School Diploma or GED
- Knowledge of all applicable requirements, regulations, and laws
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Ability to identify, address issues and deficiencies, and implement effective solutions
- Ability to handle all types of animals
- Ability to work flexible hours including weekends and holidays
- Physical: Standing for prolonged periods. Lift up to 30 pounds on a regular basis. Walking, reaching, bending, and stooping.
- Environmental: Works in an animal facility. Handling all types of animals which bite and scratch. Exposure to odors, animal dander, and a dirty environment.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: The University of Oklahoma, in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, disability, political beliefs, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. This includes, but is not limited to, admissions, employment, financial aid, housing, services in educational programs or activities, and health care services that the University operates or provides.
Diversity Statement: The University of Oklahoma is committed to achieving a diverse, equitable, and inclusive university community by recognizing each person's unique contributions, background, and perspectives. The University of Oklahoma strives to cultivate a sense of belonging and emotional support for all, recognizing that fostering an inclusive environment for all is vital in the pursuit of academic and inclusive excellence in all aspects of our institutional mission.