Patient Account Navigator
ID: 7117395 (Ref.No. ta223362)
Posted: December 6, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center (OU HSC) is one of the nation's few academic health centers with all health-related colleges - Allied Health, Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, Public Health, and the Graduate College. OU HSC serves approximately 4,000 students in more than 70 undergraduate and graduate degree programs on campuses in Oklahoma City and Tulsa.
The College of Dentistry is seeking an experienced Patient Account Navigator to assist patients with their accounts and insurance claims.
- Initiates and coordinates insurance or other carrier pre-certification and prior authorization for patients
- Provides financial counseling to patients. Coordinates with the business office to ensure timely claim and account follow-up
- Completes the pre-certification process communicating with the patient, physician, insurance company, other financial institutions and the hospital
- Interviews patient by telephone or in person to gather financial information in order to determine discounts that may be applicable
- Explains financial responsibilities for services received and payment options to patients and/or insurance or other financial institutes responsible for payment
- Counsels patients regarding insurance benefits and recommends alternative sources of payment and financial assistance when appropriate
- Reviews provider and treatment protocols, determines insurance benefits and patient responsibility, establish payment arrangements with the patient, and documents appropriate practice management system
- Acts as an advocate for the patient when discussing medical care with the insurance carrier or other financial institute
- Checks patient's accounts for outstanding insurance claims over 60 days and communicates with the biller to request additional claim follow-up
- Prepares medical necessity letters for the insurance companies and other financial institutes
- Receives and processes information and forms from the patient and insurance company
- Assists patients with obtaining financial resources for oral medication prescriptions by working with pharmaceutical companies and other resources to obtain grants and financial aid for patients in need
- Performs various duties to successfully fulfill the function of the position
Education: High diploma or GED
Experience: 12 months experience in pre-certifications, customer service, medical billing, accounts receivable or related experience
- Basic knowledge of Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) regulations and procedures.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to use a 10 key.
- Must be detail oriented.
- Ability to multitask and meet deadlines.
- Ability to read and interpret basic business correspondence, safety manuals and policy manuals.
- Physical: Sitting for prolonged periods. Communicates effectively and listens. Use of computer and telephone. Manual dexterity.
- Environmental: Standard Office Environment
- Bachelor's degree
- Experience with Medicaid claims
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: The University of Oklahoma, in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, disability, political beliefs, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. This includes, but is not limited to, admissions, employment, financial aid, housing, services in educational programs or activities, and health care services that the University operates or provides.
Diversity Statement: The University of Oklahoma is committed to achieving a diverse, equitable, and inclusive university community by recognizing each person's unique contributions, background, and perspectives. The University of Oklahoma strives to cultivate a sense of belonging and emotional support for all, recognizing that fostering an inclusive environment for all is vital in the pursuit of academic and inclusive excellence in all aspects of our institutional mission.