Assistant Director, Seahawk NEST Academy Grant, Institutional Accessibility
South Campus, FL
ID: 7121212 (Ref.No. REQ-000039115)
Posted: January 14, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job Profile SummaryUnder limited supervision, this position assist with executing the operational plan for Broward College’s Seahawk NEST Academy grant. Responsibilities will include assisting with the overall direction and oversight, implementation, continuous review, and analysis of the project. Regular travel will be required throughout the college and tri-county area.
This is a temporary, grant-based position with a chance of renewal based on sustainability of the program. The incumbent is subject to annual performance evaluations and contract renewal
- Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Five years of experience working with disabled students, preferably with intellectually disabled students, in a higher education setting.
- Three years of supervisory or lead experience required.
- Experience with project management required, preferably in a higher education setting.
- Experience in program evaluation and data collection, grant experience preferred.
- Experience with community-based projects and local school systems preferred.
- Daily -25%: Oversees and supervises the daily operations and coordination of Seahawk NEST Academy program services. Collaborates with the director to develop, implement and continually improve the Seahawk NEST curriculum, data collection/management, the student recruitment/admission process including student assessment, interview, evaluation, and selection process, and the internship and job placement program working with pertinent Broward College departments and local businesses, agencies and schools. Participates in hiring, scheduling, supervising, and managing staff; and fills in for department staff as needed
- Daily - 20%: Provides consultation, advocacy, and support for NEST students, families, advocates, and service providers regarding academic expectations and program policies & procedures. Leads department staff on developing and maintaining academic and assistive technology plans for NEST students.
- Monthly - 20%: Collaborates with various Broward College departments to ensure students have full access to programs, services, and facilities. Conducts ongoing consultation, professional development, and informational sessions for the college community on issues related to the Seahawk NEST program and working with intellectually disabled students. Presentations to larger groups will be necessary. Participates in college committees as assigned.
- Other (As Needed) - 15%: Builds and cultivates community partnerships to support all aspects of the NEST Academy. Participates in monthly online informational meetings, regular in-person planning meetings, state-wide, regional, and national professional organizations and consortia, and other professional development opportunities as assigned.
- Other (As Needed) - 10%: Collaborates with the Broward College marketing department and web services to develop, maintain and continually improve the Seahawk NEST marketing plan to include website, social media and other public awareness and marketing strategies.
- Other (As Needed) - 10%: Performs related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of American with Disabilities Act (ADA), Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other applicable state and federal legislation pertaining to disabled individuals.
- Ability to utilize database tracking systems
- Knowledge of Post-secondary Comprehensive Transition programs both at the state and national level.
- Excellent coordination skills to develop and implement a community-based marketing and recruitment plan for the Seahawk NEST Academy.
- Ability to interact and effectively communicate with a diverse employee and student population and public including student parents/guardians.
- Ability to build relationships with local employers and students and to partner with Broward College Career Center as necessary.
- Ability to plan and manage your own workflow, priorities, and results
- Models inclusive excellence through specific actions that support the College’s diversity goals in the recruitment, hiring, and retention of talented and diverse staff.
- In-depth knowledge and hands on expertise in area of specialization and related areas of the College, and pertinent interdependencies
- General understanding of the external environment and how it affects academia in general
- Strong knowledge of College structure, policies and practices, and the impact on own area
- Proven expertise in executing operational plans, managing projects and/or programs, budgeting, cost control and delivery of results
- In-depth managerial and team building skills, and demonstrated ability to motivate and empower direct and indirect reports to achieve area priorities
- Ability to partner with others across the College and externally to exchange information, collaborate on projects, share resources, etc.
- May require negotiation skills and ability to reach mutual points of agreement and benefit among peers and colleagues
- Advanced level technical skills for functional area required
Supervision & Results Orientation
Supports and facilitates the development of staff. Working collectively with upper management, assists employees in increasing their capabilities and maximizing their potential
Diversity and Inclusion
Models inclusive excellence through specific actions that support the College's diversity goals in the recruitment, hiring, and retention of talented and diverse faculty and staff
Innovation and Creativity
Contributes to the planning and implementation of creative ideas to move the organization, processes, and systems forward.
Teamwork & Collaboration
Promotes quality teams through the effective use of the organization's performance management system (e.g. establishes performance standards, appraises staff accomplishments using developed standards, and takes action to reward and counsel as appropriate). Embraces and employs the diversity of individuals, cultures, values, ideas and communication styles in the achievement of common goals
Continuous Improvement & Quality Service Orientation
Demonstrates awareness for potential or actual problem areas of the work unit, works closely with management and leadership to implements successful solutions. Fosters and environment of respect, dignity, and compassion that affirms and empowers all of its members (students, faculty, staff, outside organizations, others you provide service to) while striving for the highest ethical standards and social responsibility
Resource Management & Technology - Organizes and manages resources to bring about the successful completion of specific project goals and objectives. Ensures the effective use of college resources during project implementation
Job TitleAssistant Director, Seahawk NEST Academy Grant, Institutional Accessibility
Job StatusFull time Temporary
Salary$56,160 - $64,584 (Salary commensurate with education and experience)
Work ShiftFirst Shift
Work ScheduleMonday - Friday/Weekends/Varies
Hours Per Week40
Posting End DateOpen Until Filled
CommentsTo be considered for this position, a completed online employment application along with a resume and unofficial transcript(s) are required.
Designated Essential PersonnelNo
Position ClassificationProfessional Technical Staff (PTS)
Special Instructions to Applicant:
For positions requiring a degree, the official transcripts are required upon hire. An unofficial copy of the degree/transcript is acceptable during the application process and must be attached to the online application. If unable to attach the documentation, please email document to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 954-201-7612, stating clearly the position name(s) and position number(s) the transcript is to be attached to.
Foreign Transcript: Transcripts issued outside of the United States require a equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached with the application and submitted by the application deadline. All required documentation must be received on or before the job posting end date.
**Please note that multiple documents can be uploaded in the “Resume/CV/Transcript/License/Certification” section of the application**
Please refer to link with the instructions on how to submit an application with multiple documents. https://www.broward.edu/jobs/_docs/tutorial_external_applicant_broward_college.pdf.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the required background screening process.
Broward College uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 Form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes.
Diversity and Inclusion are a priority at Broward College
Broward College is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from eligible veterans and spouses of veterans, underrepresented groups, including minorities, women, and persons with disabilities. The College does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation or any other legally protected classification.
For inquiries regarding Title IX and the college’s non-discrimination policies, contact the Vice President for Talent and Culture at 954-201-7288, Broward College, 6400 NW 6th Way, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309.
Applicants needing a reasonable accommodation with the application process, please contact the Talent and Culture Department at email@example.com.
The intent of this description is to illustrate the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and should not be interpreted of describe all the specific duties and responsibilities that may be required in any particular position. Directly related education/experience beyond the minimum stated may be substituted where appropriate at the discretion of the Appointing Authority. Broward College reserves the right to revise or change job duties, job hours, and responsibilities.