Senior Small Equipment Operator
South Campus, FL
ID: 7121215 (Ref.No. REQ-000038953)
Posted: January 14, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job Profile SummaryUnder limited supervision, the purpose of the job is to perform advanced skilled work in the operation of a wide variety of small to intermediate size maintenance equipment. Employees in this job classification are responsible for the safe and efficient operation of assigned motorized equipment. Performs related work as directed.
This position allows eligible veterans and their spouses to claim Veterans’ Preference pursuant to Florida Statute 295. Certain service members may be eligible to receive waivers for postsecondary educational requirements, in the employment by the state and its political subdivisions and are encouraged to apply for the positions being filled.
Applicants claiming preference are responsible for providing required documentation at the time of submitting application.
For information on obtaining a DD 214 visit http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/ or call 1-866-272-6272.
- High School diploma or GED required
- Three or more years of relevant experience at the semi-skilled or greater level required in all skills and abilities mentioned above.
- Valid Florida Driver’s License required.
- May require certifications and/or licenses pertaining to particular jobs such as pesticide application, fertilizer application, tree pruning or other specialty depending on the needs of the Grounds maintenance team.
- Daily - 30%: Performs complex and specialized tasks related to maintaining the Campus clean and safe (debris collection, small repairs to the irrigation system, etc.)
- Daily - 25%: Performs complex and specialized tasks using small motorized equipment for landscaping and maintenance services.
- Daily - 10%: Ensures adherence to and compliance with established standards governing the safe and proper operation of assigned equipment.
- Daily - 10%: Keeps assigned equipment in operational order by performing routine maintenance, repairs, and adjustments and maintains a record of fuel and oil consumption.
- Monthly - 10%: Performs advanced skilled, manual labor construction and maintenance work when the nature of the job does not require constant operation of the equipment. This may include, but is not limited to, moving and spreading earth and/or mulch, cutting down large tree branches or whole trees. May act as lead worker, assigning or delegating tasks to other staff.
- Quarterly - 10%: Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-service meetings and workshops.
- Other - 5%: Performs related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced-skilled trade skills required in operation of small equipment including but not limited to mowers, aerial lift, chainsaw, bobcat, powered and manual trimming tools etc.
- Ability to repair and maintain small equipment. Must perform daily inspections of equipment and report findings to supervisor.
- Ability to conduct assessments of irrigation issues and perform basic repairs to the irrigation/sprinkler system.
- Ability to safely and efficiently conduct work while students, faculty and staff are present on campus
- Ability to work with a diverse population of students, faculty and staff within grounds and maintenance
- Ability to prioritize tasks and coordinate with other staff to perform work in a safe and efficient manner.
- May act as lead worker, assigning or delegating tasks to other staff.
- May be assigned to other campuses on a daily or short-term basis as college needs require. Sr. Equipment Operator is expected to load, unload and properly secure equipment for travel and take precautions to prevent theft or misuse while in transit.
- May be required to train staff in the safe and responsible operation of equipment.
Diversity and Inclusion
Works effectively with all individuals and contributes to a positive environment by working with a diverse population of students, faculty, staff and external constituents. Contributes to an inclusive, respectful, and empowering working environment that welcomes diverse perspectives.
Respect for Others
Demonstrates respect for team members and constituents by valuing their contributions toward the goals of the work unit and the College. Maintains professionalism and contributes to a cohesive work environment
Cooperates and collaborates with individuals & groups that supports the mission and values of the College
Flexibility & Adaptability
Adapts approaches as situations in the work environment changes. Supports change based on the environmental needs, emerging technologies, and system upgrades
Effectively applies concepts, theories, methods, tools, techniques, and expertise in one or more area of the trades.
Continuous Improvement & Learning
Actively develops one’s own skills and explores opportunities for personal learning and continuous development within the job’s functionality and in support of the goals and mission of the department, division and College
Job TitleSenior Small Equipment Operator
Job StatusFull time Regular
DepartmentSouth Campus Grounds Maintenance
Salary$42,062 - $48,371.44 - Salary commensurate with education and experience.
Work ShiftFirst Shift
Work ScheduleMonday - Friday/Weekends/Varies
Hours Per Week40
Posting End DateOpen Until Filled
CommentsTo be considered for this position, a completed online employment application along with a resume is required.
Designated Essential PersonnelYes
Position ClassificationProfessional Technical Staff (PTS)
Special Instructions to Applicant:
For positions requiring a degree, the official transcripts are required upon hire. An unofficial copy of the degree/transcript is acceptable during the application process and must be attached to the online application. If unable to attach the documentation, please email document to email@example.com or fax to 954-201-7612, stating clearly the position name(s) and position number(s) the transcript is to be attached to.
Foreign Transcript: Transcripts issued outside of the United States require a equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached with the application and submitted by the application deadline. All required documentation must be received on or before the job posting end date.
**Please note that multiple documents can be uploaded in the “Resume/CV/Transcript/License/Certification” section of the application**
Please refer to link with the instructions on how to submit an application with multiple documents. https://www.broward.edu/jobs/_docs/tutorial_external_applicant_broward_college.pdf.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the required background screening process.
Broward College uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 Form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes.
Diversity and Inclusion are a priority at Broward College
Broward College is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from eligible veterans and spouses of veterans, underrepresented groups, including minorities, women, and persons with disabilities. The College does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation or any other legally protected classification.
For inquiries regarding Title IX and the college’s non-discrimination policies, contact the Vice President for Talent and Culture at 954-201-7288, Broward College, 6400 NW 6th Way, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309.
Applicants needing a reasonable accommodation with the application process, please contact the Talent and Culture Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The intent of this description is to illustrate the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and should not be interpreted of describe all the specific duties and responsibilities that may be required in any particular position. Directly related education/experience beyond the minimum stated may be substituted where appropriate at the discretion of the Appointing Authority. Broward College reserves the right to revise or change job duties, job hours, and responsibilities.