Patient Interpreter (Spanish) - TULSA
ID: 7121843 (Ref.No. ta230227)
Posted: January 23, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
- Precisely and accurately interprets critical medical advice and information given by the provider into equivalent terminology in the patient's native language.
- Assists in translating medical text from English to native language or native language to English on behalf of internal and external customers; may translate patient education information as specifically requested.
- Establishes and maintains quality service and positive interaction with all patients, customers, visitors, health care providers, and clinical employees.
- Assists with patient follow-up as necessary, to include contacting patients with appointment reminders, scheduling appointments, communicating lab/test results with guidance from a medical provider, etc.
- Maintains strict patient confidentiality in accordance with OU policies and standards.
- Participates, as a condition of assignment, in continuing annual medical interpreter/ translator training provided.
- Provides occasional services outside of normal working hours on as as-needed basis.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned to successfully fulfill the function of the position.
- Physical: Ability to engage in repetitive motions and communicate effectively.
- Environmental: Standard medical/clinical environment.
- High school diploma or GED required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Fluency in relevant foreign language(s).
- Current knowledge of medical terminology and procedures.
- Ability to precisely and accurately translate critical medical information from English to the patient's native language.
- Strong interpersonal skills, flexibility, and customer service orientation.
- Foreign language(s) written translation skills.
- Listening skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information.
- Ability to interact and communicate with people over the telephone, often in stressful situations.
- Ability to work outside of normal working hours as needed.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: The University of Oklahoma, in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, disability, political beliefs, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. This includes, but is not limited to, admissions, employment, financial aid, housing, services in educational programs or activities, and health care services that the University operates or provides.
Diversity Statement: The University of Oklahoma is committed to achieving a diverse, equitable, and inclusive university community by recognizing each person's unique contributions, background, and perspectives. The University of Oklahoma strives to cultivate a sense of belonging and emotional support for all, recognizing that fostering an inclusive environment for all is vital in the pursuit of academic and inclusive excellence in all aspects of our institutional mission.