Postdoctoral Associate - History(#111)
ID: 7128840 (Ref.No. pt100111)
Posted: March 1, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job Description - Post Doctoral Associate (23001287)
Post Doctoral Associate
World History Center - Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh - (23001287)
The World History Center (www.worldhistory.pitt.edu) and the Department of History (www.history.pitt.edu) at the University of Pittsburgh seek applicants for a two-year postdoctoral fellowship in Digital World History beginning Fall 2023. Candidates must have completed a Ph.D. in history or a related discipline before June 2023.
We seek candidates who have a background in history or a related discipline and who also have expertise in one or more digital methodologies, including data development, scripting languages, and linked data. Experience working in the spatial humanities with tools such as QGIS and ArcGIS is required. Applicants from information science who have demonstrable expertise in history are also welcome to apply. The successful candidate should also have experience in digital humanities pedagogy and teaching.
The Fellow will serve as the student supervisor and lead instructor for the Digital Atlas Design Internship (https://www.worldhistory.pitt.edu/education/digital-atlas-design-internship). This will require regular meetings with students and faculty advisors. The Fellow is also expected to advise faculty and graduate students about digital methodologies and tools, consult with the system administrators who support the Center’s servers, and participate actively in the Center’s activities, events, and intellectual community.
Qualifications or Expectations:
- Completed Ph.D. in history or a related discipline before June 2023
- Experience in digital humanities pedagogy and teaching.
- Experience working in the spatial humanities with tools such as QGIS and ArcGIS
Duties or Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with Center research initiatives including the World Historical Gazetteer.
- Engage in their own research agenda
- Hold office hours for scholars to discuss topics and questions related to digital humanities, digital history, and geographic information systems (GIS) mapping
- Serve as the student supervisor and lead instructor for the undergraduate Digital Atlas Design Internship
- Supervise 1-2 undergraduate student workers on the transformation of data and its input into the World Historical Gazetteer
For more info about this position, visit:https://cfopitt.taleo.net/careersection/pitt_faculty_external_pd/jobdetail.ftl?job=23001287&tz=GMT-05%3A00&tzname=America%2FNew_York