Campus Assistant Dean for Clinical Curriculum
ID: 7131469 (Ref.No. ej-3937489)
Posted: February 24, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Campus Assistant Dean for Clinical Curriculum
Job ID: 251203
Location: AU/UGA Med Partnership Campus
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Job ID: 251203Position number: 20008903 The Augusta University/University of Georgia (AU/UGA) Medical Partnership in Athens, GA is conducting a search for the position of Campus Assistant Dean for Clinical Curriculum. The Campus Assistant Dean for Clinical Curriculum is responsible for curriculum development and implementation, student assessment and grading, and course evaluation and reporting for the Clerkship and Enrichment (Year 3 & 4) curriculum at the AU/UGA Medical Partnership campus in Athens. The Clerkship and Enrichment (Year 3 & 4) curriculum is part of a regional campus model whereby guidelines and reporting structures are managed through the system-wide curriculum oversight committee at the Medical College of Georgia (MCG) at Augusta University in Augusta, GA. The Campus Assistant Dean for Clinical Curriculum reports to the Campus Associate Dean for Curriculum at the AU/UGA Medical Partnership and will work collaboratively with other Associate Deans, Course/Clerkship Directors, and the MCG Curriculum Committees to design, assess, and continually improve the clinical clerkship curriculum to ensure that it 1) builds upon and is integrated with the Preclerkship (Year 1 & 2) curriculum; and 2) meets LCME standards.
Some specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Working through the Campus Director of Clerkship and Enrichment Curriculum, oversee the daily activities of the Office of Clerkship Administration.
- Supervise and assist the Site Clerkship Directors with development of existing and recruitment of new clinical training sites and clinical faculty and maintain positive and collaborative relationships with all Year 3 & 4 sites, facilities, and faculty used in teaching students in Northeast Georgia.
- Along with the Site Clerkship Directors, visit physical sites/physician groups regularly for the purposes of site follow-up and evaluation as well as faculty evaluation and development.
- Working through the Campus Director of Clerkship and Enrichment and the Office of Curriculum, oversee all Year 3 & 4 student curricular activities/assignments, registrations, scheduling, informational meetings, and communications.
- Contribute to, and in many cases lead, the development of new and improved curricular elements to the Year 3 & 4 curriculum.
- Participate in quality improvement efforts with respect to LCME standards and elements for the academic program and its units/components.
- With guidance from the Campus Associate Dean for Curriculum and in collaboration with the Office of Curriculum, develop and supervise the maintenance of a comprehensive curricular map for the Year 3 & 4 curriculum that allows explicit linkages to clinical competencies, developmental milestones, and entrustable professional activities (EPA's).
- With the Campus Associate Dean for Curriculum, Campus Associate Dean for Student Affairs, Diversity and Inclusion, Campus Associate Dean for Medical Education, and others, assist and lead in student advising and interprofessional education efforts and other initiatives aimed at better preparing students for Step 2 CK, OSCE's, Mock Residency Interviews, etc.
- Serve as a member of appropriate department/college/university cabinets, committees, and/or task forces, such as the MCG Clerkship and Enrichment Curriculum Committee and MCG Curriculum Oversight Committee.
- Contribute to the teaching, scholarship, and service needs of the AU/UGA Medical Partnership.
All Medical College of Georgia faculty should be Board Eligible - Board Certified and have a MD, PhD, or equivalent appropriate degree commensurate with role. Minimum qualification for each rank is provided below:
Assistant Professor - Early level career as a faculty member with appropriate post graduate training
Associate Professor - Mid level career faculty member with at least five years at rank of Assistant Professor or comparable training, background, and experience
Professor - Senior level career faculty member with at least five years at the rank of Associate Professor or comparable training, background, and experience.
Please reference the Augusta University Promotion &Tenure guidelines as well as the MCG Promotion & Tenure guidelines for guidance on requirements for promotion and/or tenure at:
Minimum faculty employment qualifications for all USG institutions and all academic ranks within these institutions shall be:
- Doctorate degree (MD or DO), ABMS certification in area of chosen specialty, and a minimum of five years of experience teaching medical students.
- Passion for medical education and medical student success.
- Knowledge of current medical education requirements, stressors, predictors, and strategies for success.
- Knowledge of current residency program requirements for successful matching.
- Excellent communication and teaching skills and an appreciation for the depth and knowledge base required for U.S. medical students.
- Ability to relate effectively with students of diverse ages and backgrounds.
- History of successful supervisory and management experience.
- Ability to work well without close supervision, meet deadlines, and handle confidential information in a professional manner.
- Three or more years' service as Clerkship Director or Associate Clerkship Director of an M3 Clerkship or as Director of an M4 Rotation (i.e., externship or acting internship) at an AOA or LCME-accredited medical school.
- Preference will also be given to those with a proven record of teaching excellence, community-based delivery of medicine, curricular innovation, educational scholarship, and an appropriate leadership history.
Intended FTE-1.0Academic rank and salary to be commensurate with qualifications and experience of the selected candidate. This position is not tenure-type and does not require sufficient teaching, research, or service to be on a tenure-track. Augusta University offers a variety of benefits to full-time benefits-eligible employees and some of our half-time (or more) employees. Benefits that may be elected could include health insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, Teachers Retirement System (or Optional Retirement Plan), as well as earned vacation time, sick leave, and 13 paid holidays. Also, our full-time employees who have been employed with us successfully for more than 6 months can be considered for the Tuition Assistance Program. Consider applying with us today!
This position is with the Augusta University/University of Georgia Medical Partnership, located at the University of Georgia Health Sciences Campus in Athens, GA. Background Information: Augusta University and University of Georgia have partnered to create a four-year medical education program in Athens, GA, to help alleviate a statewide shortage of physicians that threatens the health of Georgians. The AU/UGA Medical Partnership combines the significant instructional and research resources of University of Georgia, the flagship land grant research university, with the expertise of the Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University, Georgia's only public medical school. The Undergraduate Medical Education program, which graduated its first undergraduate class in 2014, focuses on active learning principles and small group learning sessions. The Graduate Medical Education Program launched its inaugural class of a three-year categorical Internal Medicine Residency Program in July of 2015, partnering with St. Mary's Healthcare System as the major participating site. The Community: Athens is one of the nation's quintessential college towns and has maintained a top ten ranking in the Forbes list of best places to live in the U.S. for the last three years. In 2018, Athens was rated #6 in best small places for business and careers, #19 in education, and #31 in job growth. This city of 129,000 people is home to the University of Georgia, one of the nation's top three producers of Rhodes Scholars over the past two decades. Athens is also known as the birthplace of R.E.M., the B-52's, and Drive-by Truckers. Culturally, Athens possesses a lively restored Victorian-era downtown bustling with shops, dining, and nightlife. It is located in Northeast Georgia 61 miles from Atlanta and is less than 4 hours away from both mountains and beaches. To learn more about Athens, see http://www.visitathensga.com.
AU/UGA Medical Partnership:
University of Georgia
Health Sciences Campus
Athens, GA 30602
Conditions of Employment
All selected candidates are required to successfully pass a Background Check review prior to starting with Augusta University. For Faculty Hires: Final candidates will be required to provide proof of completed academic degree(s) as well as post-secondary coursework in the form of original transcript(s). Those candidates trained by a foreign institution will also be required to provide an educational/credential evaluation. All employees are responsible for ensuring the confidentiality, availability, and integrity of sensitive [patient, student, employee, financial, business, etc.] information by exercising sound judgment and adhering to cybersecurity and privacy policies during their employment and beyond.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Augusta University is proud to be an equal opportunity employer welcoming applicants from underrepresented groups, including individuals with disabilities and veterans.
How To Apply
The application packet should include a curriculum vitae and a cover letter addressing how the applicant's credentials and experience meet the responsibilities and qualifications of the position. Application materials can only be accepted through the Augusta University online application process. A list of references may be requested at a later date. Application Deadline: Applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled. Position Start Date: July 1, 2023, or negotiable.
This position is also responsible for promoting a customer-friendly environment and providing superior service to our patients, students, faculty, and employees. "Augusta University is a patient-and family-centered care institution, where employees partner every day with patients and families for success." Augusta University is a tobacco-free environment, and the use of any tobacco products on any part of the campus, both inside and outside, is strictly prohibited.
To view the full job posting and apply for this position, go to https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psc/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_SCHJOB_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=12000&JobOpeningId=251203&PostingSeq=1&SiteId=1&languageCd=ENG&FOCUS=Applicant