Riverbat Mascot (Hourly)
ID: 7136179 (Ref.No. R-3900)
Posted: March 24, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job Posting Closing Times: Job postings are removed from advertising at 12:00 A.M. on the closing date e.g., at midnight on the day before the closing date.
Austin Community College is a public two-year institution that serves a diverse population of approximately 41,000 credit students each Fall and Spring semester. We embrace our identity as a community college, as reflected in our mission statement. We promote student success and community development by providing affordable access, through traditional and distance learning modes, to higher education and workforce training, including appropriate applied baccalaureate degrees, in our service area.
As a community college committed to our mission, we seek to recruit and retain a workforce that:
Reflects the diversity of our community
Values intellectual curiosity and innovative teaching
Is attracted by the college's mission to promote equitable access to educational opportunities
Cares about student success and collaborates on strategies to facilitate success for under-represented populations
Welcomes difference and models respectful interaction with others
Engages with the community both within and outside of ACC
Commitment to Equity and Inclusion
ACC is committed to the ongoing systemic changes needed to ensure the increased recruitment, inclusion, retention, and completion of historically underserved and underrepresented populations. Through continual strategic community engagement and professional development of administrators, faculty, staff, and students, the college demonstrates its dedication to fostering a culture and climate for equitable outcomes.
ACC is proud to serve a diverse student body as an open-access and low-cost institution. Dedicated faculty members are excellent professors who help students achieve their educational goals and are sensitive to our students' diverse cultures and socio-economic backgrounds. In 2017 our faculty adopted a Statement of ACC Faculty Values. This Statement affirms that ACC's faculty members value collaboration, service, agency, scholarship, inclusion, and teaching, all of which attest to our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion at the heart of our mission.
Job Posting Title:Riverbat Mascot (Hourly)
Job Description Summary:Perform as the official Austin Community College (ACC) Riverbat mascot at college and public appearances during the academic year.
PLEASE NOTE: The selection process will include an interview, audition, and role-playing activity.
- Represents ACC, and the college's mission and core values, in a positive and friendly manner through performances on and off campus.
- Provides input on Riverbat interaction with fans on ACC's official social networking sites.
- Commits entirely to the assigned schedule of Riverbat appearances. Reports to performance site on time and as scheduled and ready to be in character. Works events throughout the year, including evenings, weekends, and summers as needed. Student class schedules are considered when booking appearances.
- Maintains Riverbat costume care, cleaning, and maintenance.
- Distributes ACC promotional items designed to create good will and increase attendance at events. Poses for photographs and communicates creatively without speaking.
- Personally interacts in character at performance level with Riverbat fans and event attendees.
- The role and purposes of a college mascot.
- Maintaining an established work schedule and being on time.
- Ability to perform wacky promotional activities in front of audiences.
- Ability to work scheduled event dates, including between semesters and summers as needed.
- Experience as a costumed mascot or character.
- Current ACC student, enrolled in credit classes at least two semesters per academic year.
- Good academic standing and not subject to college discipline per the Student Handbook.
- Outgoing and creative personality with a desire to have fun.
- Valid Texas Driver's License and reliable transportation for local Austin area travel.
- Knowledge of the Austin area and ACC campus locations.
- Must have good posture and physical ability to perform Riverbat actions (i.e., standing, running, kneeling, reaching, hopping, jumping, bending, waving hands/arms, extending arms as if in flight, etc.).
- Work is performed in and out of doors, with exposure to varying temperatures.
- Must be of the height and weight to wear the Riverbat costume comfortably and support the weight for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift and move 50 pounds without assistance.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
Number of Openings:4
Job Posting Close Date:March 24, 2023
As required by the US Department of Education, employees are required to report violations under Title IX and, under the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), select individuals are required to report crimes. If this position is identified as a Campus Security Authority (Clery Act), you will be notified, trained, and provided resources for reporting.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC at its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of the job.