Histology Technician III
Baylor College of Medicine
ID: 7136577 (Ref.No. 15201-en_US)
Posted: March 28, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Performs all repetitive tests which necessitate knowledge of histologic and immuno-histologic techniques, related instruments, and the ability to recognize factors which directly affect procedures and results. Able to follow established procedures, recognize problems, identify causes or ask for help, and make simple corrections. Where no present criteria for decision-making are available, consults manager. Uses and monitors quality control programs and performs simple maintenance on instruments. Functions as an internal consultant in the laboratory and with other laboratories. Assists in training of others, as assigned. Functions at a maximum degree of effectiveness in professional attitude, co-worker relations, and integrity.
The working schedule will vary and traveling is required.
- Performs histological procedures on tissue.
- Orients specimens properly while embedding at departmental rate. To include, routine, deeper, recuts, special stains cytology and immunohistochemistry
- Coverslips slides using the automatic coverslipper or by manual methods.
- Routinely checks and verifies, using block/slide tracking system, case numbers to match blocks and slides.
- Operates Digital Scanners.
- Operates automated and semi-automated equipment, such as stainer, processors and coverslipper according to standard operating procedures.
- Maintains or gains knowledge of techniques, instruments, and principles by participating in continuing education through attending seminars, meetings in-services, and review of laboratory procedures.
- Maintains accurate and orderly records of tests performed.
- Performs, evaluates, and documents quality control procedures within established guidelines.
- Performs and documents routine equipment preventive maintenance and minor repair.
- Recognizes problems, identifies causes with help of manager, and takes corrective action as advised by the manager.
- Assists in filing, ordering, stocking and maintaining an adequate inventory of supplies for work area.
- Must be able to perform frozen sections, assist with Bone Marrow and Fine Needle Aspiration.
- Accessions, and prepare GYN and NON-GYN specimens.
- Effectively communicates deficiencies to appropriate personnel, including deficiencies related to specimens, slides, paperwork, database information, and equipment.
- Graduate of a Histologic Technician AAS program, accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS).
- Five years of experience in Histology.
- Certified Histology Technician by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) Board of Certification (BOC).
- Flexible with working hours
- High attention to detail, strong Excel, Work skills, is very organized, and drive to learn and grow with the department.
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
Baylor College of Medicine fosters diversity among its students, trainees, faculty and staff as a prerequisite to accomplishing our institutional mission, and setting standards for excellence in training healthcare providers and biomedical scientists, promoting scientific innovation, and providing patient-centered care. - Diversity, respect, and inclusiveness create an environment that is conducive to academic excellence, and strengthens our institution by increasing talent, encouraging creativity, and ensuring a broader perspective. - Diversity helps position Baylor to reduce disparities in health and healthcare access and to better address the needs of the community we serve. - Baylor is committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding students, trainees, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds by providing a welcoming, supportive learning environment for all members of the Baylor community.