DIR DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION
H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center
ID: 7145673 (Ref.No. hlj_44971)
Posted: May 17, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Director, Design and Construction provides vision, oversight, and direction for construction planning and projects for the organization. The position is responsible for but not limited to administrative implementation, budgeting and finance, personnel (staffing, performance management, talent development), operational efficiencies and timely execution of organizational processes, programs, and projects.
Key success indicators are as follows:
- Maintaining compliance with federal, state, local and The Joint Commission requirements.
- Successful budgeting and completion of multiple, simultaneous projects.
- Development of staff
- Coordination of project stakeholders to meet the needs of the organization
- Must have experience in managing and directing a portfolio of projects up to One (1) Billion Dollars
- Participates in needs assessments. Assists in the development of specifications for all construction, repair, and modification projects. Participates in bid analyses.
- Participates in evaluating potential sites and/or conditions of existing locations to determine construction and/or renovation requirements. Ensures selected locations meet project needs, requirements, and specifications
- Coordinates all capital project activities (e.g., renovations, inspections, contractor and architect meetings, permitting activities, project close-out and building commission activities, calendars, mandated reports, etc.) to ensure all construction project phases are completed within specifications and with minimal interruption to site personnel
- Monitors project activities including costs, time, materials, schedules, budgets, and change orders to ensure Center objectives are achieved within budget and timeframes and in compliance with governing regulations
- Inspects all aspects of construction (i.e., exterior, interior, walls, electrical, roof, concrete, paint, systems and equipment, etc.) to ensure compliance with plans, specifications, and local codes and ordinances
- Coordinates work schedules with other departments and reviews completed projects for quality and user satisfaction
- Oversees the space allocation function and related moves
- Ensures files of all project-related documents, including architectural publications, material samples, district directives, job-related communications, etc. are maintained and accessible. Ensures all governing bodies and permitting agencies receive required documentation and all documents are received from contractors as requested and at project close-outs
- Assists with resolution of warranty issues with design architects and general contractor representatives
- Manages assigned direct reports -- recruitment and selection, on-boarding, development, performance evaluation, coaching and counseling, and administering discipline as needed
The Ideal Candidate:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Skilled in reading and interpreting mechanical drawings
- Proficient in manual drafting
- Proficiency with AutoCAD
- Comprehensive understanding of Florida Administrative Code Chapter 59A-3 - Hospital Licensure
- Comprehensive understanding of the National Fire Protection Association ("NFPA") 101 Life Safety Code and NFPA 99 Health Care Facilities Code
- Comprehensive understanding of the Facility Guidelines Institute "FGI" 2006 edition
- Excellent written and verbal skills with ability to communicate and interact with customers at all levels of the organization
- Employee mentoring, development, and performance management skills
- Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and to impart information to a range of customers
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment
- Skill in budget preparation and fiscal management
- Outstanding interpersonal, community relations skills
- Ability to work flexible hours
Credentials and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture, Engineering, Construction Management or related
- Minimum (10) years management experience in healthcare facility construction / physical plant operations-- including (7) years project management experience coordinating the conceptual planning through the completion phases in the design and construction of health care, research lab, or large campus facilities.
- Experience with regulatory compliance project plans as well as ensuring adherence of guidelines and protocols governed by the Fire Marshal, Code Enforcement, AHCA, CMS, The Joint Commission, etc.
- Experience conducting long term planning/forecasting and modeling programming to proactively make decisions regarding timely completion of projects and deliverables.
- Must be knowledgeable of Energy and Environmental Design ("LEED") accreditation issued by the U.S. Green Building Council ("USGBC") OR Green Globes Professional certification issued by the Green Building Initiative ("GBI")
- Minimum of five (5) years in a supervisory role responsible for recruitment and selection, evaluation, training and development, and discipline.
- Master’s Degree
- Current Florida General Contractor License
- Current American Hospital Association (AHA) certification as a Certified Healthcare Constructor (CHC)
- Working knowledge of eBuilder Construction Management Software
- working knowledge of FMSystems, Inc. Computer aided facility management software
Mission To create a Moﬃtt culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion as we strive to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Vision To advance and accelerate a culture of access, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is a priority at Moffitt and is meant "to promote a culture of diversity and inclusion as we contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer." The Enterprise Equity Department focuses its efforts on eliminating those obstacles to an individual’s ability to exist within their personal comfort zone at the cancer center. Everyone is important to meeting this priority. Addressing and responding to diversity and inclusion fosters an environment where mutual respect for diverse cultures, communication styles, languages, customs, beliefs, values, traditions, experiences and other ways in which we identify ourselves, is the expectation.