Instructor, Adult Education
Highland Business Center,
ID: 7150851 (Ref.No. R-4330)
Posted: May 27, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job Posting Closing Times: Job postings are removed from advertising at 12:00 A.M. on the closing date e.g., at midnight on the day before the closing date.
Austin Community College is a public two-year institution that serves a diverse population of approximately 41,000 credit students each Fall and Spring semester. We embrace our identity as a community college, as reflected in our mission statement. We promote student success and community development by providing affordable access, through traditional and distance learning modes, to higher education and workforce training, including appropriate applied baccalaureate degrees, in our service area.
As a community college committed to our mission, we seek to recruit and retain a workforce that:
Reflects the diversity of our community
Values intellectual curiosity and innovative teaching
Is attracted by the college's mission to promote equitable access to educational opportunities
Cares about student success and collaborates on strategies to facilitate success for under-represented populations
Welcomes difference and models respectful interaction with others
Engages with the community both within and outside of ACC
Commitment to Equity and Inclusion
ACC is committed to the ongoing systemic changes needed to ensure the increased recruitment, inclusion, retention, and completion of historically underserved and underrepresented populations. Through continual strategic community engagement and professional development of administrators, faculty, staff, and students, the college demonstrates its dedication to fostering a culture and climate for equitable outcomes.
ACC is proud to serve a diverse student body as an open-access and low-cost institution. Dedicated faculty members are excellent professors who help students achieve their educational goals and are sensitive to our students' diverse cultures and socio-economic backgrounds. In 2017 our faculty adopted a Statement of ACC Faculty Values. This Statement affirms that ACC's faculty members value collaboration, service, agency, scholarship, inclusion, and teaching, all of which attest to our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion at the heart of our mission.
Job Posting Title:Instructor, Adult Education
Job Description Summary:Prepare and teach courses in Career Pathways to a diverse student population based on the department's approved course learning outcomes, utilizing a variety of instructional strategies appropriate to the needs of adult education students and the standards of the discipline. Classes take place in both morning and the evening, spanning 8 am to 9 pm.
IMPORTANT NOTE:THIS POSITION IS A 10.5-MONTH (200 work days) POSITION. THE FY20 SALARY IS ADJUSTED BASED ON THE 10.5 MONTH CONTRACT ($43,055 MINIMUM - $53,818 MIDPOINT). THE PAY RANGE WILL BE PRORATED FOR LESS THAN 100% POSITIONS.
Description of Duties and Tasks
1) Instruct adult students of all skill levels in reading, writing and workforce skills. Provide ESL instruction for ITP and Workforce literacy classes.
2) Establishes clear and understandable student classroom expectations and communicates these expectations in written form using a syllabus and in-person during the first week of class. Maintains and follows through on these same expectations through the academic period.
3) Assists students in establishing specific and attainable academic and career goals.
4) Develops and follows structured curriculum related to assigned workforce program. Areas covered communicated in written form using a syllabus.
5) Participates in the orientation, registration, and advising process.
6) Develops classroom environment conducive to optimal student learning: balance of structure and care.
7) Consistent use of interactive teaching methods including strategies training and differentiated, multisensory activities for whole class, groups, peer-to-peer, and individuals.
8) Maintains, reports, completes, and turns in (where appropriate) all student records by posted due dates including: original in-class sign-in sheets, student testing, electronic attendance, online registration, grading, and distance learning hours.
9) Completes annual professional development requirements as required.
10) Participates in required meetings and workshops.
11) Monitors and records student progress using formal and informal methods. Progress-tests students every academic period using the CASAS. Administers end of term assessments.
12) Assists with the development and maintenance of departmental end of term assessments and syllabus shells.
13) Mentoring of new Adult Basic Education CPW hourly instructors.
14) Works with Austin Community College Adult Education Community Partners.
* Knowledge of various effective teaching techniques.
* Effective classroom and individual communication methods.
* Familiarity with levels and areas within Adult Education.
* Growth mindset (Dweck, 2006) and its application to teaching.
* Explicit instruction of various learning strategies including modeling metacognitive processes.
* General assessment principles and best methods for test preparation.
* Able to plan and create relevant lessons that match student learning needs. Learning needs determined by on-going formal and informal assessments.
* Maintaining confidentiality of work-related information and materials.
* Sensitive to student population, and demonstrate effective communication and interpersonal skills.
* Flexibility to follow policies and procedures as they come available.
* Ability to instruct using specialized curriculum (i.e., Wilson Reading, Multisensory Grammar, Making Math Real, Neuhaus).
* Use of English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) instruction methods.
* Application of growth mindset (Dweck, 2006) in classroom.
* Ability to maintain an established work schedule, including evenings and weekends.
* Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills.
* Effective organizational and planning skills.
* Use a variety of spreadsheet, word processing, database, and presentation software.
*Use various online educational platforms and software.
Required Work Experience
* Two years related work experience.
* Bachelor's degree or higher.
* Valid Texas Driver's License and reliable transportation needed for local Austin area travel.
* Work is performed in a standard office or classroom environment.
* Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, pushing, and pulling.
* Occasional lifting of objects up to 10 pounds.
Number of Openings:1
Job Posting Close Date:June 9, 2023
As required by the US Department of Education, employees are required to report violations under Title IX and, under the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), select individuals are required to report crimes. If this position is identified as a Campus Security Authority (Clery Act), you will be notified, trained, and provided resources for reporting.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC at its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of the job.