Lab Animal Services Assistant Operations Manager
ID: 7152440 (Ref.No. ej-4237408)
Posted: June 1, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Lab Animal Services Assistant Operations Manager
Job ID: 250821
Location: Augusta University
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Augusta University is Georgia's innovation center for education and health care, training the next generation of innovators, leaders, and healthcare providers in classrooms and clinics on four campuses in Augusta and locations across the state. More than 9,000 students choose Augusta for educational opportunities at the center of Georgia's cybersecurity hub and experiential learning that blends arts and application, humanities, and the health sciences. Augusta is home to Georgia's only public academic health center, where groundbreaking research is creating a healthier, more prosperous Georgia, and world-class clinicians are bringing the medicine of tomorrow to patient care today.
Augusta University - Our Health Sciences Campus: 1120 15th Street, Augusta, GA 30912
The Division of Laboratory Animal Services at Augusta University is a service organization, which facilitates the research and teaching mission of the University by meeting the animal research needs of the research community while concurrently providing for the safe and ethical treatment of research animals. Our emphasis on customer service is demonstrated by providing high quality animal care and research support in a timely manner while being courteous, professional, and responsive to our customers. We maintain a centralized animal care program with administrative management of 6 on-campus and 1 off-campus animal facilities. We report to the Vice President of Research, consult, and collaborate with the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee. The animal use program is accredited by AAALAC, a Registered Research Facility with the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA No. 57-R-0002), and has an Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare Assurance number.
The purpose of this position is to assist the DLAS Lab Animals Facility Manager in general operations, facility, and personnel management. This support will primarily be through management of cagewash operations along with determining staffing needs, hiring, support in performance management, and equipment management. Works directly with DLAS Animal Facility Manager, Director, Assistant Director, and Business Manager to identify and implement operational efficiencies.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as back-up for the Operations Manager. Assists in management of DLAS operational staff including Animal Facility Managers.
- Manages new talent acquisition processes for lab animal care and cagewash technical corps.
- Direct supervision of cagewash technical corps. Determine cagewash staffing levels and manage operations.
- Assess needs for new racks and caging.
- Manages inventory of consumable items such as PPE, diet, bedding, and detergents.
- Coordinates the maintenance and repair of bulk autoclaves, tunnel washers, cage washing equipment, water bottle fillers, and housing rack systems.
- Advises the Operations Manager and administration on equipment and facility maintenance and repair issues necessary to maintain ultimate animal health and/or compliance with industry standards.
- Coordinates collection of husbandry and animal care data and conducts time and motion studies and shares data with DLAS leadership to help make decisions regarding staffing levels and operational changes.
- Helps develop, modify, and implement comprehensive policies and standard operating procedures related to the use and care of animals within the vivarium.
- Identifies staff training needs for operations staff in coordination with the Animal Facility Supervisors and the DLAS training corps.
- Coordinate training processes for the Animal Facility Supervisors, Animal Care Technicians and Cage Wash Technicians.
- Coordinates proficiency assessments with DLAS training corps.
- Maintains appropriate safety standards in accordance with AU EH&S guidance to ensure DLAS meets all Chemical Safety, Radiation Safety, Biosafety and Fire/Life Safety requirements per Federal, state, local and institutional regulations.
- Coordinates technical arrangements for protocols approved to use hazardous agents.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited institution in a science field or Associates degree equivalent plus four years of progressive experience in lab animal medicine.
Must possess a driver's license with the ability to gain approval to drive University vehicles.
Experience with eSirius software. Experience in a laboratory animal program. Experience in laboratory animal medicine data management. Progressive responsibilities including supervisory/managerial experience. AALAS ALAT certification or higher.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
Ability to maintain confidentiality. Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills. Ability to supervise others. The incumbent must continually make independent important and occasionally difficult decisions involving the management of staff and appropriateness of expenditures. Most critical will be decisions made regarding hiring and disciplinary actions. Appropriate decisions are vitally important for meeting the division's mission. Inventory management including bulk sanitation equipment. Proficient in computer skills including Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word, and Outlook specifically).
Shift: Days; Monday - Friday (Work outside of normal business hours may be required) Pay Grade: 15Salary: $38,913/annually - $52,533/annuallySalary to be commensurate with qualifications of selected candidate within the established range (generally minimum-midpoint) of the position Recruitment Period: Until FilledAugusta University offers a variety of benefits to full-time benefits-eligible employees and some of our half-time (or more) employees. Benefits that may be elected could include health insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, Teachers Retirement System (or Optional Retirement Plan), as well as earned vacation time, sick leave, and 13 paid holidays. Also, our full-time employees who have been employed with us successfully for more than 6 months can be considered for the Tuition Assistance Program. Consider applying with us today!
Conditions of Employment
All selected candidates are required to successfully pass a Background Check review prior to starting with Augusta University. Motor vehicle reports are required for positions that are required to drive an Augusta University vehicle. All employees are responsible for ensuring the confidentiality, availability, and integrity of sensitive [patient, student, employee, financial, business, etc.] information by exercising sound judgment and adhering to cybersecurity and privacy policies during their employment and beyond.
This position is also responsible for promoting a customer friendly environment and providing superior service to our patients, students, faculty, and employees. "Augusta University is a patient-and family-centered care institution, where employees partner everyday with patients and families for success." Augusta University is a tobacco free environment and the use of any tobacco products on any part of the campus, both inside and outside, is strictly prohibited.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Augusta University is proud to be an equal opportunity employer welcoming applicants from underrepresented groups, including individuals with disabilities and veterans.
How To Apply
Consider applying with us today! https://www.augusta.edu/hr/jobs/Select University Faculty & Staff > External Applicants if you are a candidate from outside the universitySelect University Faculty & Staff > Internal Applicants if you are a current university employee If you need further assistance, please contact us at 706-721-9365
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=12000&JobOpeningId=250821&PostingSeq=1