Dean, Institute Public Safety
Central Campus, FL
ID: 7164690 (Ref.No. REQ-000036797)
Posted: August 21, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job Profile SummaryThe purpose of the job is to serve as an administrator reporting to the Vice-Provost, Academic Affairs for the coordination and management of Criminal Justice, Fire Science, and Emergency Management programs. Employees in this job classification are responsible for administering a public safety institute that provides training, testing, management assistance, and other services to law enforcement, public safety and emergency response agencies. Position is accountable for ensuring budget accountability, academic integrity, and the achievement of college objectives through instructional programs, and accomplishes such in coordination with the college's mission and college wide goals and initiatives.
- Master's degree required, doctorate preferred.
- Requires 7-10 years of progressive administrative or managerial experience
- Some areas may require teaching experience
- Some positions may require a minimum of 18 additional credit hours in a specified discipline
- Technical and/or academic proficiency in discipline required
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered for some positions
- Daily - 20%: Provides supervision, professional development opportunities, and evaluation of associate deans over the Criminal Justice, Fire Science, and Emergency Management degree and certificate programs, and basic law enforcement, corrections, and correctional probation officer training conducted by the Broward Police Academy; establishes and implements Institute policies, procedures, rules and regulations, and ensures their proper application and compliance by administrators, managers, and supervisors.
- Other - 5%: Administers the operations, management, and safety conditions of the Institute's physical plant, to include the firing ranges, driving track, and outdoor training facilities.
- Daily - 10%: Ensures that all training is delivered in compliance with all governing laws and administrative codes; administers discipline process for trainees; appoints hearing panels; sits as hearing officer; determines appropriate penalties.
- Daily - 10%: Provides leadership and assistance to Institute faculty for the development and implementation of public safety and homeland security programs in support of the college's mission and college-wide goals and initiatives.
- Other - 10%: Administers the development, preparation, allocation of resources, fiscal priorities, and management of the Institute's budgets.
- Other - 10%: Works collaboratively with campus Provost and administrators to create effective partnerships that are in support of campus and college-wide goals and objectives, and Public Safety initiatives.
- Other - 5%: Meets with legislators, committees, and legislative staff to lobby for various bills; represents the college at various legal proceedings; attends depositions, mediations, and civil trials; attends all Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission meetings and workshops.
- Other - 10%: Represents Broward College on Regional Criminal Justice Training Council, Broward County Chiefs of Police Association, Florida Police Chiefs' Association, Florida Criminal Justice Training Center Directors' Association, Florida Criminal Justice Selection Center Directors' Association, and Southeast Region Domestic Security Task Force.
- Other - 5%: Maintains all records as required under federal and state law, ensures compliance with all legal requirements, responds to subpoenas, testifies in court, gives depositions, establishes procedures for handling record requests.
- Other - 10%: Directs the Criminal Justice Testing Center, a "Regional Selection Center" under Florida Law.
- Other - 5%: Performs related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Models inclusive excellence through specific actions that support the College’s diversity goals in the recruitment, hiring, and retention of talented and diverse faculty and staff
- Recruits, trains and retains superior quality administrators and staff
- Provides leadership, supervision, professional development opportunities, and evaluation of the associate deans, directors, managers, and staff
- Oversees multiple academic or business affairs or student affairs departments, units or centers
- Develops and administers several large departmental budget(s) and State/Federal grants
- Works directly with contractual provisions, interpreting contract language and working with faculty to ensure contract provisions are met
- Has full responsibility to oversight of multiple academic discipline/or units
- Responsible for the protection and safe-keeping of confidential data aquired during the course of work
Leadership & Results Orientation
Inspires and generates enthusiasm and commitment for the vision, mission and core values of the College. Promotes employee growth and development through professional, technical, and academic programs and services. Makes effective decisions and produces results through strategic planning and development, implementation and evaluation of programs and policies. Sets goals and priorities that maximize the use of resources available to consistently deliver results
Diversity and Inclusion
Models inclusive excellence through specific actions that support the College's diversity goals in the recruitment, hiring, and retention of talented and diverse faculty and staff
Innovation and Creativity
Successfully implements creative ideas to move the organization, processes, and systems forward. Introduces new concepts, models, practices and services that serve to improve the Colleges value in the community
Teamwork & Collaboration
Promotes quality teams through the effective use of the organization's performance management system (e.g. establishes performance standards, appraises staff accomplishments using developed standards, and takes action to reward and counsel as appropriate). Embraces and employs the diversity of individuals, cultures, values, ideas and communication styles in the achievement of common goals
Continuous Improvement & Quality Service Orientation - Anticipates, identifies, diagnoses and consults on potential or actual problem areas relating to program implementation and divisional goal achievement. Fosters and environment of respect, dignity, and compassion that affirms and empowers all of its members (students, faculty, staff, outside organizations, others you provide service to) while striving for the highest ethical standards and social responsibility
Resource Management & Technology
Develops and implements the most emergent technologies for the unit utilizing methods and strategies that create environments that are flexible and responsive to the needs of local and national trends and the College's mission. Plans, organizes and manages resources to bring about the successful completion of specific project goals and objectives. Ensures the effective use of college resources, implements fiscally sound practices and environmentally sustainable initiatives
Job TitleDean, Institute Public Safety
Job StatusFull time Regular
Salary$98,280- $113,022 Salary commensurate with education and experience.
Work ShiftFirst Shift
Work ScheduleMonday - Friday
Hours Per Week37.5
Posting End DateOpen Until Filled
CommentsTo be considered for this position, a completed online employment application form along with a cover letter, resume and unofficial transcript are required.
Designated Essential PersonnelYes
Special Instructions to Applicant:
For positions requiring a degree, the official transcripts are required upon hire. An unofficial copy of the degree/transcript is acceptable during the application process and must be attached to the online application. If unable to attach the documentation, please email document to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 954-201-7612, stating clearly the position name(s) and position number(s) the transcript is to be attached to.
Foreign Transcript: Transcripts issued outside of the United States require a equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached with the application and submitted by the application deadline. All required documentation must be received on or before the job posting end date.
**Please note that multiple documents can be uploaded in the “Resume/CV/Transcript/License/Certification” section of the application**
Please refer to link with the instructions on how to submit an application with multiple documents. https://www.broward.edu/jobs/_docs/tutorial_external_applicant_broward_college.pdf.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the required background screening process.
Broward College uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 Form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes.
Diversity and Inclusion are a priority at Broward College
Broward College is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from eligible veterans and spouses of veterans, underrepresented groups, including minorities, women, and persons with disabilities. The College does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation or any other legally protected classification.
For inquiries regarding Title IX and the college’s non-discrimination policies, contact the Vice President for Talent and Culture at 954-201-7449, Broward College, 6400 NW 6th Way, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309.
Applicants needing a reasonable accommodation with the application process, please contact the Talent and Culture Department at email@example.com.
The intent of this description is to illustrate the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and should not be interpreted of describe all the specific duties and responsibilities that may be required in any particular position. Directly related education/experience beyond the minimum stated may be substituted where appropriate at the discretion of the Appointing Authority. Broward College reserves the right to revise or change job duties, job hours, and responsibilities.