ID: 7167520 (Ref.No. hlj_49339)
Posted: August 25, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
- The Director of Licensing will have a leadership role with efforts to protect and license Moffitt's intellectual assets.
- This position will develop strategies to efficiently and effectively evaluate new technologies for patentability and commercial potential.
- The Director will be responsible for negotiating complex license agreements with established companies.
- This position will be a major contributor in the formation of new for-profit subsidiaries and faculty startups.
- Patent Filing and Prosecution
- Reviews and provides feedback on draft patent applications and USPTO Office Actions at expert level
- Technology Valuation
- Determines value of intellectual property by cost, market, and income methodologies at expert level
- Conference Planning
- Assists with planning events to promote Moffitt's research and innovations
- SOP and Tool Development
- Builds and updates standard operating procedures relating to IP protection, marketing, and licensing
- Review IP Terms
- Provides edits and comments on IP terms in Moffitt agreements including research and purchasing agreements at expert level
- Pitching Licensing Opportunities
- Develops and delivers compelling story on value proposition to potential licensing partner at expert level
- Revising Agreements
- Edits license documents in accordance with Moffitt's policies and procedures at expert level
- Revenue Distribution
- Reviews and comments on documents and materials related to distributions including Revenue Allocation Agreement, Inter-Institutional Agreement, Closing Statement, and Distribution Schedule
- Launching Startups and Subsidiaries
- Provides support for structuring and forming new entities around Moffitt's technologies at expert level
- Faculty Outreach
- Develops and executes plan to educate faculty and staff on intellectual property protection, licensing, and commercialization at expert level
- Quality Assurance
- Reviews and scores work product from direct reports
- Strategic Planning
- Contributes towards the development and implementation of the department strategic plan
Credentials and Experience:
- Master’s Degree – Field of Study: Life Sciences or related field (Alternative Degrees included Doctor of Medicine (MD) or Juris Doctor (JD)
- 7 years of business development experience.
- Business development experience may include licensing technologies, forging industry collaborations, and creating/ growing new ventures.
- 5 years of management/ supervisory experience.
In lieu of master's degree, a bachelor's degree with an additional 2 years of Business Development experience for a total of 9 years business development as well as 5 years management/supervisory experience, may be considered.
- Registered Technology Transfer Professional (RTTP), Certified Licensing Professional (CLP), and Registered Patent Agent
Mission To create a Moﬃtt culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion as we strive to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Vision To advance and accelerate a culture of access, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is a priority at Moffitt and is meant "to promote a culture of diversity and inclusion as we contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer." The Enterprise Equity Department focuses its efforts on eliminating those obstacles to an individual’s ability to exist within their personal comfort zone at the cancer center. Everyone is important to meeting this priority. Addressing and responding to diversity and inclusion fosters an environment where mutual respect for diverse cultures, communication styles, languages, customs, beliefs, values, traditions, experiences and other ways in which we identify ourselves, is the expectation.