RAII - Biosensors & diagnostic
ID: 7176159 (Ref.No. hh-63554BR)
Posted: September 5, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
What you’ll do:
- Under the supervision of senior staff, assist in synthesizing biomaterials, designing and microfabricating microfluidic devices, developing bioanalytical assays and testing the analytical prototypes and platforms
- Contribute to the design and troubleshooting of experiments with guidance and supervision from senior staff
- Assist with benchmarking the performances of the bioanalytical sensing system against more conventional assays such as ELISA, PCR etc. under the supervision of senior staff
- Order supplies and contribute to lab maintenance
- Present data and conclusions at meetings within the Wyss Institute under the supervision of staff
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others
What you'll need:
- College background in Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Mechanical Engineering or related field required.
- One year or more of laboratory experience involving microfabrication, microfluidics, bio-sensing and biosensors, electrochemical sensing, optical sensing, bioassay development, mechanical engineering, electric and/or electronic engineering or related areas. Education may count towards years of experience.
This position will be based on our campus in Boston, MA and will require on-campus presence. Subject to business needs, the Wyss Institute generally supports flexible work arrangements.
Harvard will require COVID vaccination for all Harvard community members who will have any on-campus presence. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement and exceptions may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Engineering, or Bioengineering preferred.
- Previous experience in assay development, electrochemical and/or optical sensing, and mechanical engineering will be strongly considered.
- Experience with microfluidic device is desirable.
- Laboratory experience involving mammalian cell culture and basic cell biology techniques such as cell culturing, qPCR, or microscopy is desirable.
- Ability to work independently and to collaborate within a multidisciplinary group is essential.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, CAD, and Solidworks is strongly preferred.
- Good written and oral communication skills are essential.
- Highly motivated, detail-oriented, organized, and able to take initiative.
This is a one year term position with the possibility of renewal.
Harvard is unable to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Why you’ll like working with us:
At the Wyss Institute, you’re a member of a supportive, dynamic community that is united by its shared goal of changing the world through groundbreaking technology development and commercialization. We encourage your professional growth and development through mentorship and tuition reimbursement to support continued learning, and more. We also support your physical, financial, and mental well-being through generous time off benefits, gym reimbursements, and other programs offered through Harvard. We value an inclusive and diverse workforce, and believe that our differences enrich the work environment for all.
Our outstanding benefits package includes:
Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan contributions from 5% to 15% of eligible compensation, based on age and earnings with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Facilities access and Discounts: Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Not ready to apply? Join our talent community to stay up to date on career information and the latest news from the Wyss Institute.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and BelongingAs a collaborative organization, we at the Wyss Institute know that great innovation happens when diverse perspectives come together to solve problems. As a result, we are committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of inclusion and connectedness both in and out of the lab. When recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that you will bring in terms of education, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, religion, disability, and sexual orientation. We believe these differences in background, experience, and perspective enrich our work environment and are essential to our mission of solving complex problems through technology development and translation.
EEO StatementWe are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Harvard Medical School strives to cultivate an environment that promotes inclusiveness and collaboration among students, faculty and staff and to create new avenues for discussion that will advance our shared mission to improve the health of people throughout the world.