Faculty - Dance
ID: 7187696 (Ref.No. 23O312241)
Posted: October 23, 2023
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) houses the School of Communication, Media, and Performing Arts (CMPA). The BA in Dance, which lives within the Department of Performing Arts, focuses on training dancers to establish, then progressively realize their highest artistic aspirations as dance creators, performers, producers and/or educators. The Department and program promote body positivity and healthful response to the physical and emotional demands of training and execution of dance, and commit themselves to fostering an ever-increasingly inclusive, diverse, equitable, accessible and sustainable field.
To learn more about the School of Communication, Media, and Performing Arts please visit our website at: http://www.rider.edu/academics/colleges-schools/college-arts-sciences/communication-media-arts
An ideal candidate is a practicing dance artist and an inspiring educator with a demonstrated distinguished record in dance performance, choreography, dance education, and/or dance advocacy. Such a candidate will engage in creative and/or scholarly practice which parallels the department’s commitment to an inclusive, diverse, equitable, and accessible arts community.
- Demonstrated philosophical viewpoint and commitment to inclusivity, diversity, access, and equitable practice in dance education and across the field of dance in all forms.
- Advanced degree (MA, MFA, MS) in dance or a closely related discipline.
- Demonstrated record of distinguished professional dance experience as a performer and/or choreographer and/or producer of dance.
- A demonstrated record of consistent, high-quality dance instruction both practical and theoretical, at the collegiate and/or professional level.
- Demonstrated proficiency in at least two dance forms, including ballet, modern, hip hop, and non-Western dance forms.
- Ability to choreograph in service to a broad range of student and student proficiencies.
- Ability to devise, produce and direct cohesive dance showcase/production(s)
Additional expertise in somatic practices, dance conditioning, and injury prevention is desired to support the dancers’ physical and mental wellness for optimal performance.
Candidates with proficiency in dance forms outside of the traditional Western canon are encouraged to apply.
Position Preferred Qualifications/Experience
- Service and/or ongoing involvement with professional dance organizations (National Dance Education Organization, Dance Educators of America, etc.)
- National or international presence/recognition for research/scholarship in dance studies, dance performance, and/or dance science
- Doctorate (PhD or EdD) in dance or a closely related discipline
- Depth of knowledge in somatic practices, dance conditioning, and/or injury prevention
- Active collaborations or partnerships with professional dance companies
- Demonstrated ability to teach all levels of dance major and minor, focused on training in a broad range of dance practices including African diasporic and other non-Western forms.
- Prior experience in dance curriculum and course development
About Rider University
Rider University is committed to fostering an inclusive, vibrant living and learning community that embraces students, faculty and staff of all backgrounds and enables them to achieve success.
Through reflection and open, respectful dialogue, we develop responsible citizens who demonstrate academic understanding and compassion to grow and serve as leaders in a diverse and global world.
Candidates with a demonstrated commitment supportive of the multicultural needs of Rider University and the surrounding community are highly desired.
Rider University is consistently ranked as a best college by U.S. News and World Report, The Wall Street Journal and The Princeton Review. For more than a decade, Rider has also been recognized in The Princeton Review’s Guide to Green Colleges for its sustainability efforts.
Rider University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer dedicated to excellence through diversity.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. For best consideration, please submit materials not later than November 15, 2023.
The completion of a background check is required for all new hires.