Assistant, Senior Library
Rio Grande Campus, TX
ID: 7192552 (Ref.No. R-5262)
Posted: November 9, 2023
Job Posting Closing Times: Job postings are removed from advertising at 12:00 A.M. on the closing date e.g., at midnight on the day before the closing date.
Austin Community College is a public two-year institution that serves a diverse population of approximately 41,000 credit students each Fall and Spring semester. We embrace our identity as a community college, as reflected in our mission statement. We promote student success and community development by providing affordable access, through traditional and distance learning modes, to higher education and workforce training, including appropriate applied baccalaureate degrees, in our service area.
As a community college committed to our mission, we seek to recruit and retain a workforce that:
Reflects the diversity of our community
Values intellectual curiosity and innovative teaching
Is attracted by the college's mission to promote equitable access to educational opportunities
Cares about student success and collaborates on strategies to facilitate success for under-represented populations
Welcomes difference and models respectful interaction with others
Engages with the community both within and outside of ACC
Commitment to Equity and Inclusion
ACC is committed to the ongoing systemic changes needed to ensure the increased recruitment, inclusion, retention, and completion of historically underserved and underrepresented populations. Through continual strategic community engagement and professional development of administrators, faculty, staff, and students, the college demonstrates its dedication to fostering a culture and climate for equitable outcomes.
ACC is proud to serve a diverse student body as an open-access and low-cost institution. Dedicated faculty members are excellent professors who help students achieve their educational goals and are sensitive to our students' diverse cultures and socio-economic backgrounds. In 2017 our faculty adopted a Statement of ACC Faculty Values. This Statement affirms that ACC's faculty members value collaboration, service, agency, scholarship, inclusion, and teaching, all of which attest to our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion at the heart of our mission.
Job Posting Title:Assistant, Senior Library
Job Description Summary:Coordinate circulation services at the library, including circulation desk services, staffing, bookkeeping, and training; assist patrons, report/collect usage statistics, and stack and collection maintenance in a highly automated, dynamic and diverse, customer service, and teamwork-oriented environment.
Description of Duties and Tasks
1) Assists patrons with directional questions, equipment use, and updating patron information.
2) Oversees and/or performs delivery of the following roles: periodical collection, reserve collection, special collections, circulation projects, stack maintenance, and technology.
3) Assures that circulation task completion meets Austin Community College (ACC) policies, and Library Services guidelines by reviewing for accuracy and timely completion. Also assures that workflow meets ACC, Library Services, and federal standards for maintaining confidentiality of patron information.
4) Compiles and maintains library statistics, such as equipment use, gate count, inventories, and repair and service records.
5) Coordinates a team environment to ensure quality customer service to students, faculty, and staff.
6) Coordinates and oversees the work of circulation staff and public service role assignments including determining priorities, scheduling, assigning, training (i.e. training on various electronic devices), and overseeing the completion of work.
7) Reconciles money collected from library fines and fees, creates invoices in college system(s), and submits deposits to Cashier Office.
8) Opens and/or closes the library.
9) Monitors maintenance needs and notifies appropriate staff for facilities and/or technical problems.
10) Tracks and troubleshoots issues (i.e., desktop authentication) with library equipment; including computers/laptops, printers, copiers, security gate, and other equipment such as tablet bundles, maker kits, and in some locations, VDI workstations.
11) Assists the head librarian in promoting and implementing library safety and security.
12) Facilitates circulation services training of full-time, part-time, hourly, work study, and other library employees.
13) In the absence of library manager assists patrons as needed by contacting other ACC libraries.
14) Establishes and/or revises work methods, forms, processes or procedures to improve workplace efficiency in both individual and group settings.
15) Serves on Library Services or other ACC teams, committees, or group work projects.
16) Coordinates and manages team projects (collection, e-devices maintenance, assisting with project implementation).
* Principles and practices of library operations.
* Library proprietary software.
* Current technology practices.
* Office productivity.
* Maintaining effective time management practices, including an established work schedule, possible weekend and evening hours, and/or work at multiple campus locations.
* Using effective oral and written interpersonal and workplace communication skills.
* Coordinating, delegating, and overseeing the work of others.
* Using effective organizational and planning skills with attention to detail, procedures or standards, and task completion, in an individual or group setting.
* Providing superior customer service.
* Researching and locating work-related information and materials in diverse print, web, wiki, and vendor specific/proprietary software environments.
* Training other library employees (paraprofessional and faculty).
* Creating circulation desk employee schedules.
* Problem-solving and reporting skills in a variety of settings such as public service desk, individual, or group work settings.
* Interpreting and applying guidelines and instructions in order to resolve workflow issues and patron concerns.
* Maintaining confidentiality of work-related information and materials.
* Establishing and maintaining effective work relationships.
* Handling money including collection of library fines, issuing of receipts, making deposits, and reconciling reports.
* Following and applying ACC and Library Services policies and procedures related to property and materials acquisition, movement, and disposal.
* Skill with various circulation equipment such as barcode scanners and material sensitizers/desensitizers.
* Use a variety of spreadsheet, word processing, database, and presentation software.
* Use automated library systems within a web-based environment.
Required Work Experience
* Two years related work experience.
* Associate degree.
Four years of related work experience may substitute for the degree. Experience used here cannot be used again to meet the experience requirement or for placement purposes. Please note that the College reserves the right to amend these terms of substitution at any time.
* Valid Texas Driver's License and reliable transportation needed for local Austin area travel.
Other Preferred Qualifications
* Knowledge of ACC Library Services Policy and Procedures Manual, and inter-library loan policies and processes.
* Familiar with new technologies such as cloud based collaboration tools, maker kits, and desktop authentication.
* Work is performed in a standard office or similar environment.
* Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, pushing, and pulling.
* Occasional lifting of objects up to 30 pounds.
$45,760 - $52,576
Number of Openings:1
Job Posting Close Date:November 24, 2023
As required by the US Department of Education, employees are required to report violations under Title IX and, under the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), select individuals are required to report crimes. If this position is identified as a Campus Security Authority (Clery Act), you will be notified, trained, and provided resources for reporting.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC at its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of the job.