Technician, Senior IT (Computer Support)
Austin Community College, TX
ID: 7192557 (Ref.No. R-5285)
Posted: November 9, 2023
Job Posting Closing Times: Job postings are removed from advertising at 12:00 A.M. on the closing date e.g., at midnight on the day before the closing date.
Austin Community College is a public two-year institution that serves a diverse population of approximately 41,000 credit students each Fall and Spring semester. We embrace our identity as a community college, as reflected in our mission statement. We promote student success and community development by providing affordable access, through traditional and distance learning modes, to higher education and workforce training, including appropriate applied baccalaureate degrees, in our service area.
As a community college committed to our mission, we seek to recruit and retain a workforce that:
Reflects the diversity of our community
Values intellectual curiosity and innovative teaching
Is attracted by the college's mission to promote equitable access to educational opportunities
Cares about student success and collaborates on strategies to facilitate success for under-represented populations
Welcomes difference and models respectful interaction with others
Engages with the community both within and outside of ACC
Commitment to Equity and Inclusion
ACC is committed to the ongoing systemic changes needed to ensure the increased recruitment, inclusion, retention, and completion of historically underserved and underrepresented populations. Through continual strategic community engagement and professional development of administrators, faculty, staff, and students, the college demonstrates its dedication to fostering a culture and climate for equitable outcomes.
ACC is proud to serve a diverse student body as an open-access and low-cost institution. Dedicated faculty members are excellent professors who help students achieve their educational goals and are sensitive to our students' diverse cultures and socio-economic backgrounds. In 2017 our faculty adopted a Statement of ACC Faculty Values. This Statement affirms that ACC's faculty members value collaboration, service, agency, scholarship, inclusion, and teaching, all of which attest to our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion at the heart of our mission.
Job Posting Title:Technician, Senior IT (Computer Support)
Job Description Summary:Maintains, installs, supports, and manages Austin Community College (ACC) computer, telecom, and network infrastructure systems and equipment; provides professional-level network support functions and customer assistance services.
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1) Provides technical support for all faculty/staff, and general academic computers; training and assistance to faculty and staff in ACC departments; analyzes problems and implements solutions according to department guidelines and procedures; ensures system stability, accessibility and proper configuration of assigned technical systems and components.
2) Performs computer troubleshooting to diagnose system problems; assists with issues in the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI); analyzes hardware and software functionality; identifies, locates, resolves and repairs problems within scope of authority; documents results of troubleshooting in ticketing system.
3) Sets up and troubleshoots network hardware; resolves configuration issues and other security and access problems on computing devices, making adjustments to ensure connectivity.
4) Responsible for deploying, maintaining, and updating computing devices, network hardware, equipment, and peripherals; installs software upgrades, enhancements and revised functions; activates and deactivates network ports.
5) Assists with decommissioning equipment and its proper disposal as needed.
6) Responds to the technical needs and inquiries of users by monitoring the ticket queue and online technician chat; explains IT issues, deploys solutions, and follows up with users to ensure the stability and functionality of the users' systems.
7) Monitors physical security of assigned department assets; controls access to IT areas (network closets).
8) Reports technical problems which need to be addressed by improved policies or procedures.
9) Trains users on new software applications usage and configuration issues.
10) Maintains and follows up with administrative record keeping and asset inventory. May assist with providing technical documentation for IT department website.
11) Creates and maintains a positive working relationship between IT and ACC departments, vendors, and consultants.
* Administration, troubleshooting, and maintenance principles of multiple operating systems (Windows 7/10, Mac OS 10.12+, and mobile operating systems such as iOS, Android, and ChromeOS), and web- and windows-based software applications.
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
* Network hardware, software and peripheral equipment troubleshooting techniques; network support at the end-point level.
* Virus/malware remediation.
* Customer service techniques and practices.
* Familiarity with remote desktop tools such as LogMeIn, Team Viewer, and MacOS screen sharing.
* Familiarity with ADA compliant hardware and software, to include installation and support.
* Knowledge of basic Virtual Private Network operations.
* Familiarity with Active Directory (AD) and Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) environments.
* Familiarity with command line and/or PowerShell.
* Maintaining an established work schedule.
* Effectively using interpersonal and communications skills.
* Effectively using organizational and planning skills.
* Operating and maintaining computer and peripheral equipment safely and competently.
* Solving technical problems involving integrated operating systems and hardware platforms.
* Responding professionally, effectively, and efficiently to customer service requests.
* Prioritizing multiple tasks, projects, and demands.
* Use a variety of spreadsheet, word processing, database, and presentation software.
* Navigate network domains.
* Ability to perform basic printer, network, and browser/Internet troubleshooting.
Required Work Experience
- Two years related work experience.
Preferred Work Experience
- Six years related work experience.
- High school diploma or educational equivalent.
- Associate degree.
Valid Texas Driver's License and reliable transportation needed for local Austin area travel.
Other Preferred Qualifications
ITIL Certification and one other basic industry recognised certifications, such as CJIS, MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA, A+, Network+, Security+.
* Work is performed in a variety of settings.
* Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, pushing, and pulling, and at times subject to stooping, crawling, and climbing.
* May need to lift heavy objects of up to 50 pounds.
* Specific vision abilities may include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to focus.
$50,681 - $63,351
Number of Openings:1
Job Posting Close Date:November 22, 2023
As required by the US Department of Education, employees are required to report violations under Title IX and, under the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), select individuals are required to report crimes. If this position is identified as a Campus Security Authority (Clery Act), you will be notified, trained, and provided resources for reporting.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC at its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of the job.