Texas Water Data Hub Internship (Hourly)
Austin Community College, TX
ID: 7194885 (Ref.No. R-5365)
Posted: November 17, 2023
Job Posting Closing Times: Job postings are removed from advertising at 12:00 A.M. on the closing date e.g., at midnight on the day before the closing date.
Austin Community College is a public two-year institution that serves a diverse population of approximately 41,000 credit students each Fall and Spring semester. We embrace our identity as a community college, as reflected in our mission statement. We promote student success and community development by providing affordable access, through traditional and distance learning modes, to higher education and workforce training, including appropriate applied baccalaureate degrees, in our service area.
As a community college committed to our mission, we seek to recruit and retain a workforce that:
Reflects the diversity of our community
Values intellectual curiosity and innovative teaching
Is attracted by the college's mission to promote equitable access to educational opportunities
Cares about student success and collaborates on strategies to facilitate success for under-represented populations
Welcomes difference and models respectful interaction with others
Engages with the community both within and outside of ACC
Commitment to Equity and Inclusion
ACC is committed to the ongoing systemic changes needed to ensure the increased recruitment, inclusion, retention, and completion of historically underserved and underrepresented populations. Through continual strategic community engagement and professional development of administrators, faculty, staff, and students, the college demonstrates its dedication to fostering a culture and climate for equitable outcomes.
ACC is proud to serve a diverse student body as an open-access and low-cost institution. Dedicated faculty members are excellent professors who help students achieve their educational goals and are sensitive to our students' diverse cultures and socio-economic backgrounds. In 2017 our faculty adopted a Statement of ACC Faculty Values. This Statement affirms that ACC's faculty members value collaboration, service, agency, scholarship, inclusion, and teaching, all of which attest to our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion at the heart of our mission.
Job Posting Title:Texas Water Data Hub Internship (Hourly)
Job Description Summary:Water Data Hub Intern will assist on projects related to the development and advancement of the Texas Water Data Hub (TWDH), with a primary focus on growing the data catalog of the Hub and following FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, and Reusable) data principles. The intern will play a key role in TWDH with primary responsibility for data cataloging efforts, including research of water data resources in Texas, organizing standard documentation and metadata, and presenting research findings to the team. The Intern will work closely with technical specialists on a multidisciplinary team to support priority initiatives for the project.
- Job Duties: The intern will primarily focus on researching water datasets, compiling standard documentation (metadata and data dictionaries), and supporting data entry in the TWDH. This will include working closely with the data lead and administrator for the Hub project to help develop administrative workflows for collecting and reviewing metadata following FAIR data principles. Additional duties include identifying data transformations needed for data standardization; drafting social media content to promote the Hub; and working closely with other staff involved in the TWDH project. Other assignments may be added to provide the intern with greater exposure to the important work performed by TWDB teams.
- Maintaining an established work schedule.
- The ability to work independently within departmental policies and guidelines.
- Respecting a unique and diverse multicultural environment.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Effectively using interpersonal and communication skills, including tact and diplomacy.
- Effectively using organizational and planning skills with attention to detail and follow-through.
- Maintaining confidentiality of work-related information and materials.
- Demonstrated proficiency with standard office software.
- Qualifications: Applicants should either be enrolled at a recognized Texas college or university or a recent graduate. Successful candidates will have a background in either GIS, library science, data science, information architecture, or other related field, and a desire to improve skills in information science and develop a better understanding of water datasets in the state. Enrollment
or completion of data acquisition and analysis in GIS or other related data courses are strongly preferred.
Understanding of FAIR data principles, relational databases, knowledge of data management best practices, and familiarity with the geography or water data of Texas is a plus. This position requires
great attention to detail, excellent communication skills, and the ability to work well in team settings and independently.
Successful candidates will have access to their own laptop computer and the ability to participate in virtual meetings.
- Work is routinely performed in an office environment.
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, kneeling, pushing and pulling.
- Occasional lifting of objects up to 10 pounds.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
Number of Openings:1
Job Posting Close Date:December 17, 2023
As required by the US Department of Education, employees are required to report violations under Title IX and, under the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), select individuals are required to report crimes. If this position is identified as a Campus Security Authority (Clery Act), you will be notified, trained, and provided resources for reporting.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC at its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of the job.